Friday, June 17, 2011

Quilt-Alongs, Swaps, & Bees

One of the main reasons I started blogging was to join the online quilting community in a fuller sense. Right away, I jumped in quilt-along-ing with Block-a-palooza, Socken, and later, Supernova, which in itself was a profound quilting experience. Now, I am eager to start Kaleidoscope next week, with prints from my stash.
Mostly Denyse Schmidt Fairground, with a Katie Jump Rope plaid,
Amy Butler Lotus dots, Michael Miller Ta Dot, & Cloud Nine Nature Walk.
A prized piece of Flea Market Fancy Green Dot is on its way to round out the collection.

I ventured into the swap arena with safe, low-commitment SewSara's Scrap Swap and  A Little Fabric, A Little Chocolate {Swap!}. They were fun, and gave me the confidence to join Gen X Quilters' Spoonflower Swap, with its slighty higher {read: custom fabric} stakes, and flickr's Scrapbuster Swap, where we'll swap modern Scrappy Depression blocks like these . . .
photo credit: JulieFrick on Flickr
And I confess, when I started blogging, I had high hopes to eventually join a quilting bee. And that I have, just this week! The [3 X 6] Sampler Quilt Mini Bee seems a perfect 'first bee.' I can hardly wait to be assigned to a hive next week.

So. Progress is being made. Quilts are being created. Community is being built. Fun is being had. I've made some bloggy friends, who I enjoy sharing progress and ideas {and life} with. I find great inspiration in seeing the work of my fellow quilters, and I'm learning some things. All in all, it's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by how many swaps you've done! Looking forward to seeing the results of your first bee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you have found "the perfect bee" for you! It will be so fun, you will have to control yourself to join so many more....

    ReplyDelete