Thursday, July 12, 2012

Zakka Along Week 15 :: Bookmark

Third time's a charm? In this case, third time's still a disappointment. I hesitate to even show you my Zakka project for this week. Please don't laugh too hard. Then again, if you do, I'll just assume you needed that good laugh, and I'm glad to help out!

This week's project is a little elephant bookmark by zakkainspired. No offense to elephants or anyone, but I just wasn't feeling it. Angela of Cut to Pieces made two and seemed to enjoy the process, even with the few fiddly bits.

I decided I would make a cookbook bookmark in the shape of a stirring spoon. But there were issues from the get go.

Bookmark #1: It was as limp as a wet noodle. Into the garbage it went.

Bookmark #2: I used heavier interfacing this time (pellon 808 Craft Fuse) but it was so heavy, I couldn't turn my bookmark right-side out. Not even a little bit!

Bookmark #3: Rethinking the construction process, but still using the Craft Fuse, I ended up with something that slightly resembles the model spoon, and is sturdy enough to actually be used to mark a page.
Attractive? Not really. But it IS made of lovely Quilter's Linen in Stone and Essex Linen in Lime. And it even has some hand-stitching. So you can't say I didn't try. Three times.

Yikes! Ready or not, I'm linking up with lrstitched. Maybe.

22 comments:

  1. Cute spoon! (far nicer than the elephant too! IMHO) And it does the job, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for your try try try attitude! I think the spoon is great and would look perfect in many of my cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spoon is cute and it fits perfect to your "cooking-passion"! Happy that you didn´t make this horrible elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb I love your take on this weeks project! Good for you for finding something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bookmark of your spoon is cute, especially in context when it's being used in the cookbook. I think you should get a prize for your commitment to the SAL and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, it is a funny story, limp noodle and all! I think your spoon looks great in a book, just not as cute on the counter. You will just have to keep using those cook books a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great to me, I can understand your frustration, if you don't feel a things right you think you've failed, well I do :0). I like it no laughing here, love the colours too. Well done.

    Peg xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's adorable! And it resembles the model spoon more than just a little bit. Perfect for a cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, sorry it caused you so many trials and tribulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the spoon bookmark! It looks perfect in your cookbook and I definitely noticed the hand stitching that you did. Great job!
    Linda F.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is very annoying when things don't turn out the way you want them too, interfacing can be a pain in the butt to use!
    I like your spoon though the colour is awesome! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's looks like a cute bit of whimsy on the Flickr page but now I read the saga behind it - I have to congratulate your perseverance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, your post just made me laugh and laugh because I have SO been there!! Kudos to you for being honest about the trials and tribulations of sewing along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love elephants but not sure if I am keen to do one of these either! Such a good idea to make the spoon - it looks great in your cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes - as in yikes this is cute?! Yep! Totally cute. I would use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable! It's a perfect place-holder for a cookbook! Worth your frustration? Hard for me to say. :) but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the spoon : ) Good for you for persevering .

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! When I saw it on flickr, I thought it was a lost project LOL. But no, really I love it. Sorry you had so much trouble with it, but it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, my! Debbie, what a project! I love the whole process you put yourself through for just one zakka bookmark. You totally rock, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a trooper you are, Debbie! Sometimes things don't work out as we've envisioned. Kudos to you for trying and trying again. Looks like you learned a lot in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How stinking cute is that!? I think it's perfect. Impressed with your perseverance, I would have thrown something by spoon #2, lol.

    ReplyDelete