The runner I made was "get in line" by Amy Walsh of Blue Underground Studios, which was published in the June 2012 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting. In the magazine, the runner was made of Dupiani silk, which was lovely, but I chose to make mine more day-to-day-friendly by using Kona cottons.
It was a really interesting process cutting strips . . .
and playing with placement on the design wall.
For quilting, I tried to add some more variety by using 3 different Aurifil 28wt Mako Cotton Threads. The 28wt is heavier than the 50 weight I use for piecing, and emphasizes the stitches well. I was pleased to find 3 really nicely coordinating colors in my thread bin - Winter Mauve #5003, Sapphire #2730, and Peapod #1231. I stitched randomly spaced straight lines in the stripes across the runner, 2 or 3 lines per stripe.
Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!