Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Stretch

The monthly prompts from Bee Sewcial never cease to challenge. For February, Karen/CapitolaQuilter chose the theme "Stretch" (Denim-but not actually denim): Let's Get Comfortable using indigo blues, off-white, and gray. Though Karen mentioned something about 'primarily flowing from top to bottom, and out the sides of the block(s),' my mind was focused on a pair of jeans with threadbare knees and cozy creases, and she gave me the go-ahead to follow my intuition. That's what I tried to incorporate into block #1. I especially enjoyed the micro-piecing of the 'lines' in the center section. This block measures 12 1/2" x 14."


For block #2, I was thinking of a pocket (that curve in the upper-right) with a rivet. Both blocks were created totally ruler-free until the last trim, and this was actually my second try at the rivet. I had in mind to go vertical with the 'creases' but that's not the way the rotary cutter took me. sigh. The last detail I tried to incorporate was the side-seam of the jeans with that vertical strip on the right. It took everything I had not to top-stitch that in gold thread. This block measures 12 1/2" x 13," and I do think I was successful with both blocks in flowing out the edges as Karen suggested.


So yes, that was challenging, but I loved working with the indigo mix and ruler-free was indeed freeing. You can see more blocks at #beesewcial, and feel free to sew along with #inspiredbybeesewcial.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love where your creativity takes you, Debbie and how open you are to trying new ideas. Awesome interpretations of blue jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. both are great! thanks for sharing these. I so would have gone for the gold thread, but I supposed that could happen in the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing you work!! You really inspire me and, I'm sure, others! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun to see the blocks this group does. I especially like the first one. Well done.

    ReplyDelete