Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Divided Basket + A Tip

It's not my preferred mode of operation, but this month has me working on a variety of projects, with not much to show for it. In amongst the works in progress, though, I finally got around to trying Anna/noodlehead's Divided Basket pattern, and I'm a fan. 


Made with Carolyn Friedlander's carkai and doe, it was originally destined for a swap until I realized I didn't quite follow the rules of the swap by making a quilted item.


My bad, but luckily I still had time to correct my error, and at least I got to try a pattern I'd been wanting to try, and I love how it turned out. And it's much larger than I expected, so good to know.

One little detail I wanted to comment on, though, that being the handles. I really love the cotton webbing Anna used for her basket's handles, but I just didn't have the webbing on hand, so decided to make the best of things, creating a more than suitable substitute. 


I constructed a small 'quilt' of sorts - main fabric, batting, and backing - quilted it heavily, then cut it to the size detailed in the pattern for the webbing.


 From then on, I made the handles as directed, and I think they turned out pretty nice.


So I've snuck in a couple more small projects into my week, and you'll most likely be seeing them soon. I find that's sometimes my tack when overwhelmed by larger projects, but I really need to focus on the larger things too. Soon!

9 comments:

  1. Your basket is gorgeous. How did you manage to keep the divider from putting stress along the join?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to try this pattern for a while. I love how you did the handles. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this pattern! And your handle solution is perfectly clever! So long as you are sewing, being creative and happy small projects and large projects are all good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking basket. Super job on the improv handles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great tip and idea for the handles. They did turn out great! It's always nice to finally be able to try something you have wanted to do for a long time. Theres that thing about 'distractions'...they can be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it ! Thank you for the tip. I bought this pattern a while ago and I'll probably need to make the handles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! Love the fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, swap error aside, this turned out really well. Those handles look like they were meant to be. I didn't know it was such a large basket, but that's good for actual USE. Do you know what you'll be using yours for? I'm always looking for good, practical applications for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This basket turned out gorgeous - and i love the handles! I'm also curious to know what you'll be using this for. :-)

    ReplyDelete