Monday, April 10, 2017

Miniature Florals

Creating alongside the Bee Sewcial gals is always inspiring, and I'll admit to almost always being a tad intimated by the prompts they come up with. This month with Marci/
@marci_girl was no different, with her request for Miniature Florals. As the blocks started appearing on Instagram, I was in awe. I think I say that every month. But goodness, what absolutely darling little (6 1/2" square) blocks. And the request for bright solids on black (or very dark blue) backgrounds was inspired.


  • The upper-right block is what came to mind when I first saw Marci's prompt, and it's my favorite of my four blocks, even though hubby and others on Instagram thought it looked like a jellyfish. Whatever. Just a wee bit of thread-stitching was a fun addition.
  • The bottom-right block was inspired by the Fractured Curves block tutorial by Carole Lyles Shaw/@carole_lyleshaw, and though I stopped before the end of her tutorial, I'd really like to try the method again. And yes, the 'center' is a little embroidered lazy daisy chain. Since Marci ok'd some embroidery, I figured why not. 
  • The bottom-left block started out as a tulip from a drawing by grandgirl, but morphed into a crocus; and finally,
  • the upper-left block was created from truly leftover snippets, and indeed, the idea for the leaves came from Rachel/@snippetsofsweetness herself. Again, a little minimalist thread-stitching finished it off.
So there's my little foursome, and even though I'm not really a floral-type person, I'm kind of in love with them. 

13 comments:

  1. Dazzlingly gorgeous!wow and then some!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is the top right one, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite changes every time I look at them! didn't see the jellyfish until you said it, LOL. these are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice flowers! I like your "jellyfish" flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two on the left are my favorites! Black really makes the colors standout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the brights against the black background. The jellyfish shaped one is my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The upper right one, is my favorite too - just reminds me of the purple cone-flowers I love so much! These are so vibrant against the dark background - beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been in awe of this latest prompt! What...black background! Your flowers are amazing and love how playful they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way every month. Marci mixed it up with something very different for us and I'm loving the blocks so far. Yours are so varied and yet go together perfectly - they could seriously hang on a wall framed as four just like you've shown here. Can't wait to get my garden gloves on and grow fabric flowers (since I have a black thumb IRL).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the "jellyfish" Looks like a cone flower. These are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been so amazed at the creativity and variety of blocks from the prompt this month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you may yet become a floral person. I love the challenge of bees for making you try something a little bit outside your territory! Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a new take on the color and black combos. I am saving up scraps to do a birch tree quilt - sort of the same concept.

    ReplyDelete