Wednesday, November 1, 2017

spiky



Seems like lately, once I try a new improv technique or 'shape' if you will, I need to use it in multiple projects. It's a form of seeing what it can do I guess. At least it's certainly been that way with improv spikes. I discovered them early this year in Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking II and they brought my Improv Alliance all together, and were the starting off point with EverGreenery. Then I set them aside for months, in favor of improv stripes, but in the continuing effort to empty my scrap basket, I started in with them again.



And that's why you see so many different fabrics and colors in this quilt. There was some palette editing as I pulled and sewed scraps together, but not much. And the crazy mix was half the fun.



For the first time, I used Quilter's Dream Orient, "a luxurious blended batting of silk, bamboo, tencel, and cotton". I actually had won it at our guild retreat, and thankfully so. Donated by Sassafras Lane, it was the perfect size for this project (Craft size is 36" x 46"), and I'm admittedly not very exploritive in my batting choices. But I found the Dream Orient basted and quilted beautifully, was very soft, and had very little creasing.



I have a pin board where I keep oodles of machine quilting ideas, and it was there that I happened upon Radio Static from The Free Motion Quilting Project with Leah Day. You know free-motion isn't really my thing, but this design seemed perfect for the spikes, so I mustered up my courage and dug in. Perfect it's not, but overall a success I'd say. And, um, the texture is delightful.



After mulling over options, a faced binding really seemed the way to go, and I definitely don't regret that decision now that the 32" x 44" quilt is completed.



I took the finish to work yesterday to see if I could catch some photos on my lunch break while the light was good, and even though that didn't work out, one of my friends saw the quilt. I told her it was all made of scraps, and she said the darndest thing. "Creating this out of scraps must make you feel like you made something wonderful out of chaos." Exactly.



My only regret, and it's fairly inconsequential, is that I didn't keep going and make the quilt larger. I'm that fond of it. Then again, enough felt like enough, and I'm good with that.

This quilt was on my Q4 2017 Finish-A-Long list!

26 comments:

  1. Really a spectacular piece Debbie. It was fun to watch it progress from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this quite a lot! I think your FMQ design choice was inspired and who's to say if the 'static' is well done or orderly... it's static!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again ........I just adore this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! Keeps me inspired to maintain the mini stash of scrap triangles from paper piecing my current quilt...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interesting and cool modern quilt. I"m trying to be scrappy and use up bits and pieces. What I love about your quilt is the organization of color to keep it more unified. That's a great way to order the chaos in a meaningful way. I'm making a small quilt now from the leftover ends of a solid jelly roll. I should have done it in a more orderly way. I may have to try another one when this is don.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this quilt.... I want one too! Fabulous color an the rhythm is full of energy....like music. Love, love love it!♡♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has to be one of my favorites of yours! The varying scale and colors are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! I love the scrappiness. And I also won a Quilters Dream Oreint craft size batting, and pretty much agree with your review. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the randomness of your colors. That's not something I do very well. I was surprised when I saw the dimensions because it doesn't seem like a small quilt. All those spikes must be fairly small. Might need to give that batting a try. I tend to do the same old same old and need to experiment a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much energy and color are in this quilt, exciting. I like how you quilted it, perfect.
    And that batting sounds delightful, I didn't know there was such a thing, must do research.
    Spiky goodness here.
    And Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking II is packed with inspiration, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great piece. I wish i could do scrsppy like this, its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The new quilt is beautiful
    Katrin W.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks awesome!! Such wonderful work in this whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely compliment from a coworker. The facing was a great finishing choice, and I am so glad to hear you like the Dear. orient batting. It is one of my two go to batting choices (Dream Green is my favorite).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been loving this on instagram....what the heck is a faced binding? I've got guesses but I'm off to search Google right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Debbie! If I could, I would start this minute to make similar quilt! This is my favourite design for a while! Just super fun and beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such amazing ideas ! I'd love to see the quilting closer ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's an inspiring quilt. And I would also have guessed it bigger... Congrats on the finish and on using so many "tiny" scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've created a truly stunning quilt! Those spikes are so dramatic, full of colour - you could always make a larger sized quilt next up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness Debbie! I love this quilt! Your work and your quilts are so inspiring - I’m constantly saying to myself “You have to try this” when I read your blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, I have to admit that maybe I wasn't feeling all the feels for the spikes at the beginning but this a perfect example of the the quilt being greater than the sum of its parts. It's amazing and I have ALL the feels for it now. I love it, you are the absolute best at scrappy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spiketastic! I do love this so much, Debbie.

    On behalf of the global hosts of the Finish A Long, thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the look of this "Spikey" quilt. I'm really into my stash right now and am thinking that low volume backgrounds and Kaffe triangles would look pretty good.

    ReplyDelete