Friday, December 1, 2017

2018 QuiltCon Submissions

It was fun to see and hear about the quilts Yvonne/Quilting JETgirl and Heather/
Quilt-achusetts submitted to QuiltCon 2018, and I told them both I'd eventually post mine, so here they are!

First, I submitted Doing the {Pink} Flamingo  in the Group or Bee Quilt category on behalf of Seattle MQG. It was our first giving quilt of this year, and the guild outdid themselves making improv blocks that featured Pink Flamingo, the Kona Color of the Year. The Pink Flamingo and backing fabric were donated to the guild by Circa15 fabric studio, and we really appreciated partnering with them. Also, it was quilted by guild-member Pam Cole.


Considering Refiner's Fire was my most liked post EVER on Instagram, I couldn't resist going ahead and entering it in the Improvisation category. At 40" square, it barely fit.



And beings it's one of my very favorite finishes of the year, in went Improv Alliance in the Modern Traditionalism category. This one was just a joy to make during the guild's 2016 block-of-the-month, and it's extra special since my guild-mate Matt Macomber beautifully quilted this one for me.



I struggled to choose just one more to submit and finally settled on my most recent finish, Follow the Dots, which I intentionally kept small enough so that it fit in the Small Quilts category.



So for better or worse, there we go. I'm disappointed I didn't get this year's Bee Sewcial quilt done in time, but I let it overwhelm me, and just need the right timing to get back to working on it. Meanwhile, it is what it is! Sharing a quilt out in the world is a humbling and exciting thing, and I figured it's definitely worth a try!

18 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed! They are all terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared all the quilts you submitted as well. It's really fantastic to see your beautiful work all together and as I have said before, I don't envy the jury their job of curating for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all gorgeous. I'm sure some, if not all, will be chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! The quilts are awesome.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! These are so amazing. Your improv work is so breath taking. I'm sure I'll be seeing these in person at QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are stunning and you have a definite style of your own. Such a pleasure to see your entries together! I hope you have the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these QuiltCon entries are getting me excited for Pasadena! Good luck with your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Follow the Dots is my favorite of all your finishes so I'm thrilled you decided to enter it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting about your submissions, I love them all and hope I get a chance to see them all at QuiltCon. Are you going to be there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I caved and entered a couple, but have no hope whatsoever they will be chosen! You picked four beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All good choices! I hope to have something to enter next year. This year the flood intervened......

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all gorgeous entries! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just wondering if you would submit Follow the Dots, my new favourite of your quilts ! I will probably have to cancel my trip to Pasadena ... Hopefully I'll see some pictures of the show on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're all great Debbie and you should get success with at least some of them. My favourite is the pink flamingo because I love pink probably. Good luck! Are you going next year?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you should win a prize for one!

    ReplyDelete