Tuesday, February 27, 2018

QuiltCon :: Gifted

You guys! I'm back fresh from QuiltCon, exhausted and full, still going over all the moments in my head. It was such a good time. I'll be posting about it for some time, I'm sure, but for today, just a little reveal post about a few gifts I took with me for my roommates and birthday buddy.

Wouldn't you know most of my recent makes were patterns by Svetlana/s.o.t.a.k handmade? I tried her scissors cozy for the first time and was really pleased with the pattern, which goes together pretty quickly.



Both were quilted prior to construction, just one of the details I love.... you know, besides the little tabs and the zipper pulls. Very fun! I made one for my roommate, Louise/
@imfeelincrafty, and one for Ellyn/@ellynz, with whom I had agreed ahead of time to meet up and exchange birthday gifts.



A couple of years ago I had made daughter dear a large Lola pouch, so this time (my other roommate!) I made her the smaller version in fabrics coordinating with the first. This pattern, with its unique zipper installation technique, really is sweet, and I like that the binding allows for a little fussy-cutting.



I needed a giftbag for Ellyn's gift, so I dug into my scraps and stitched up a qayg drawstring bag, also a tutorial from s.o.t.a.k handmade. I don't do much quilt-as-you-go, but it's perfect for this kind of project, plus a nice change of pace.



I copied Svetlana's lead and added one of my leather labels - perfect, don't you think?



And lastly, even though I didn't end up using or gifting the lanyards I made, as QuiltCon provided ones that were perfectly adequate, I wanted to share in case you (or I) need one in the future. I really like this tutorial by Simply Cotton and is a super quick sew! I used the suggested charm squares to make scrappy lanyards, but you could also make them with a single fabric of course.



Anyway, I'll be back with a variety of QuiltCon posts as I can, so stay tuned! Meanwhile, it's time to get back in the swing of things!

8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful and so useful! Would you please tell me what you use for the drawstring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fabulous little projects Debbie!!! I love each and every one of them, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project ideas.
    I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip!
    Which airport did you fly into?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pouches and the fabric choices are great! Love the leather labels too. They finish the bag off so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all gorgeous gifts, I especially like the scissor purses. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. those scissor bags are fabulous...I think I will have to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your projects Debbie now if I start now I could have Christmas gift bags made way before I need them. The scissor pouches would be greater quilty friends, maybe it's time I got to grips with zippers. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas gits sound like a good ideas with some sissors also sounds like a good addition I will be checking back often. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete