Friday, September 21, 2018

Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Loosely Connected

Thanks to Amy Ellis of Amy’s Creative Side, the Blogger's Quilt Festival has been a lively online event for 10 years now!


Ridiculous or not, one of my favorite quilts from the last few months is the smallest, Loosely Connected. Just 11" square, I've hung it above my sewing machine, and honestly think several times a week that I really must make another version, except larger.


Making it was just that much fun.... the free and easy kind of creating that very nearly takes charge and makes itself. It had to be that, as I had no idea where I was going until well into the making. I remember beginning with striped strips and then cutting into them at angles. Connecting them with those skinny navy zigs and zags became my most-loved piecing details.


Once the arrangement of the triangles was set, even though I'll admit I wasn't sure at that point, echoing them with matchstick quilting was definitely a no-brainer. And it was in that process that I was totally won over.


Micro-binding cut at 1 3/4", with just a tiny accent of matched binding, was the obvious finish. And of course, a great reminder that creating doesn't have to be long, drawn-out, and overwhelming to be completely satisfying. Take the time to dabble now and then and see where it takes you!


Thanks for stopping by! You'll find me on Instagram at @aquilterstable. Leave your email in the sidebar if you'd like to subscribe to my newsletter, The Scrap Basket....  more from A Quilter's Table delivered straight to your email inbox. 


My previous entries in the Blogger's Quilt Festival:
EverGreenery, 9/19/17
StringSong, 9/23/16 ~ Yay or Nay, 9/21/16
Room Temp, 5/20/15 ~ Keychain, 5/19/15
Unlocked, 5/16/14 ~ Red Hots, 10/27/14
Absolutely Mod Pop, 5/19/13 ~ HST Love, 5/17/13 ~ Crazy Rainbow, 10/25/13
Hopscotch, 5/19/12 ~ The Stars of Summer, 10/26/12
Supernova, 5/13/11 ~ Mango Revisited, 10/28/11

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic, I can see why it is one of your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors! It's all about those warm shades, perfect for fall. Love this mini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too! Beautiful quilting effect, great thread and stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bold colour combo and the dynamic shapes, it's unique and would stand out in any crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! This is so very you! What a neat idea to link to your previous years’ entries! I will likely remember most of them😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Simple design yet drawn in. Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the smallest finishes are the most rewarding. I think the favorite quilt I've made to date is 12 x 16 and linked up in this Festival, too. I love the details: the quilting, the extra binding matching, and how it all adds up to such a visual delight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quilt and want to recreate it one day to get my “play” groove on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely fabulous! I too love to see where I am heading with no plan in mind. This is so great and the thread choices are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes make it again! This is a favorite of mine too and I'm so glad you entered it in the festival so I could get another look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I absolutely love this one. And I have fallen in love with matchstick quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is stunning, I can tell you had fun creating this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful artistic piece! The quilts that practically make themselves and allow you the joy and freedom of creating without worry or rules are the ones that are my favorite to make too. I look forward to seeing the bigger piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilt and the yellow in the binding is the icing on the cake for me!!! This would make a fabulous larger quilt...waiting for you to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome, A plus, brilliant...a favorite for me too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous modern aesthetic! I love that you said you didn't know where you were going. That's sometimes the most fun kind of quilting. Goodness knows, it definitely worked for you! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it's the smallest projects that can spark a new idea for a bigger project. I love your little quilt, so much to look at! You should definitely make another bigger version!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's great - size doesn't matter

    ReplyDelete
  19. So small. So much quilting. I love that detail on the binding, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the angles packed in this mini and the binding color change is a nice addition!

    ReplyDelete