Monday, March 18, 2019

Portraits

When I read that Felicity/@felicityquilts' prompt for Bee Sewcial this month was face blocks, I was seriously angsty. We could choose either an abstract style, realist, or anywhere in between, as long as our portraits read as humanoid faces. I can't say I felt much better after making my first block, which measures 8"x14". I mean, if I squint, I'm pretty happy with the bangs, and I think the lips are interesting enough, but I'll let it go at that. I did know from the third seam that her name would be Sally (Yes, we are supposed to name our portraits....) so at least that part came easily.


It took me a week to get up the nerve to try making another block, but the process and result felt much better. Meet Rowan. She measures 17" x 19" and I'm really happy with her. Those eyelashes were my main focus, which led me to keep the nose and lip elements simpler. So even though this prompt was very challenging for me, I'm feeling ok about where I ended up.

16 comments:

  1. They are so, so beautiful. The colours and placement of elements is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge challenge. I must say it would have given me angst as well. I think you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should feel great because these are awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! And I love that word, "angsty"! Faces are on my to-do list this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. J'adore :-) I love your portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are wonderful! That must have been a huge challenge, but your blocks are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rowan is a beauty, but I sure like Sally! She's an absolute doll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both faces are very unique just like us humans. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm quite intrigued by this month's prompt, and am happy to see your faces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sally is quite sassy with her bold lipstick color! Nice job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great prompt! I'm not sure which I like the best...the lips of Sally or the eyelashes of Rowan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That prompt would have left me paralyzed. You've done a great job with it. It will be quite interesting to see how all the faces come together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like both of them for different reasons. Love the prompt and I predict it will be such a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Rowan's eyelashes are a fantastic focal point. I would find this prompt to be challenging as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are both (!) gorgeous and it will be such an impressive quilt. What a great prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you should! "Feel okay." Rowan turned out great, though Sally isn't a schmo either. But "faces" would definitely be the undoing of me. You stood up to it very well!

    ReplyDelete