Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summersville Baby

It's been a while since I've made a baby quilt, so when the need for one came up, I didn't really have an idea of what to do. Until I saw Krista's "Welcome to Nunaka", which she shared in the recent Blogger's Quilt Festival. Where Krista used pink in her mixed neutral background, I used blue. Actually, light blue and green,  along with white, snow, and a pale gray. 
The prints were mostly from Lucie Summers' summersville. I used a charm pack, matching up the 5" squares with solid squares, sewing a 1/4" on either side of a diagonal marked with my hera, then cutting and trimming to 4 1/2" blocks. {Random note: did you know they now make a "slim" hera??} I didn't have quite enough summersville, so I added in bits of Half Moon Modern Oval Dots, Metro Living Rings, DS Sugar Creek Infinity, and American Jane Mono Pez, which I thought all played well together.

For backing, I chose the summersville alphabet print in coal, and quilted with a simple double-line grid, just like Krista.
There were two new-to-me products in this project :

  • Pellon's Legacy 100% Natural Cotton batting, which I really loved! It has such a nice hand, and the finished quilt is very soft. 
  • Aurifil's 40 wt thread, which I'd heard rave reviews on for quilting (Ivory #2021). I learned right off that a larger needle than my norm was in order, and a 90/14 quilting needle worked well for me. Cristycreates on Ig tells me that using an embroidery needle would be even better, but I didn't have any on hand and managed fine. But I'll definitely be picking some up to compare.

For binding, I used more of those oval dots, and wouldn't you know I was just a teensy short, so I just filled in with some pez and infinity. Problem solved.
Overall this went together fairly quickly, and it has a soothing quality about it. I'm trusting baby will feel the love.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

28 comments:

  1. Lovely baby quilt. Such nice colours together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this quilt will be loved and the baby wrapped in love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun. I have some of this Summerville fabric and you are inspiring me to do something with it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very lovely and calm baby quilt! It will definitely be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely finish and who knew about the slim hera? (thanks for the tip)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That was fast. I just love Sommersville. All your prints work really well. Very cute quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Debbie! It's a perfect baby quilt from fabrics to the layout and quilting...I've no doubt it will be a cherished gift.

    About Aurifil...maybe I need to try the weight you are suggesting. My LQS carries the MAKO 50/2 weight and I just don't like it...too thin. On the flip side I just love Gutermann Ne 50 weight. I think I need to educate myself more about threads...always something new to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew you could do it! It turned out great. Will make a very sweet baby quilt.

    By the way, I clicked through to the link for the hera marker and there was a one star review by someone who said that it does not work at all, will not work on any type of fabric. Strange! Makes me wonder if they know what it's for?? I love mine (not the slim one, but pretty sure they'd work the same).

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, Debbie. It's such and adorable quilt, love all the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt, modern and fun for a 21st Century baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful quilt, and I too am so drawn to the colour scheme of Krista's quilt, and now yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just used the new Pellon Nature's Touch Cotton Batting - doesn't have Legacy in the name. I loved the feeling and drape of the batting but now that I've quilted some of it, it doesn't have the loft I would have liked to show off the quilting more. I'll look for something thicker or "loftier" next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooOoo! What sweet baby quilt. I love it! I even love the little bit of yellow on the binding. Wish my oops' looked that cute ;) Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it and I'm sure baby will too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun quilt - the Summersville fabrics are just perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So adorable!
    This makes me want to go cut up my Summersville stash!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt. Now I want to start another project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Debbie! This is my favourite quilt with summerville! Somehow this pattern just is the perfect for those prints and I love also those neutrals! Beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is really wonderful. Such a nice balance of prints and solids. Such a beautiful scrappy quilt. The other lines you added complement the summsersville very well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just catching up on my blog reading today, Debbie -- this quilt is beautiful! I love the prints you used. So sweet and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!!!! Going to check out that batting. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooh beautiful quilt and the backing is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a lovely baby quilt! I especially like the colours, as opposed to the classic light blue/pink/yellow for babies. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great choice. I have a couple of Summersville charm packs I got last year I really need to use!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely love this quilt! ...the Colors, the quilting, and the backing!
    An added benefit is that Aaron can learn his letters during tummy time! It is also great for a picture backdrop.

    ReplyDelete