Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

When we first met our son-in-law-to-be several years ago, I don't remember him cooking. At all. But he's surprised me at least, and now has quite a repertoire and does alot of the family cooking. And he makes really interesting and unusual things too - fresh mozzarella, butter, homemade pasta and bread, and even mead.

In true son-in-law style, when he was asked what he wanted for Father's Day brunch and he replied biscuits and gravy, it was obvious to daughter dear and I that he would be the one cooking!
This isn't something I've made much, but son-in-law's version is definitely worth siding up to the table for. I did what I could rounding out the rest of the meal, and for dessert, tried a variation on the Raspberry Oatmeal Bars I made last week. I followed the exact recipe while substituting blueberry preserves and fresh blueberries. And they were equally good. Not a real sturdy bar, they really would be extra good served with a fork and a scoop of ice cream. Note to self.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,Don't you just love a man that can cook??!!!It's sexy and soooooo convenient!!!Hope you have a happy week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! My husband doesn't do too much in the kitchen, but I do know that he's capable. The one thing he makes regularly is a huge batch of greek salad that he brings to work for lunches. And he always sets some aside for me in a separate container without olives and onions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, no picture of the gravy! Would love to see his recipe, since B & G is a treat at our house. I've enjoyed hearing about his baking over the years. Lucky that you've acquired another great cook in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your SIL sounds like my brother. He never used to cook but he does quite a bit now. And he usually makes interesting, from-scratch kind of stuff like pastrami. Your blueberry bars sound like a fun variation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, biscuits and gravy! How nice of you. Those oatmeal bars look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete