Friday, October 14, 2011

In the Lull

Here, again, is the palette I chose for the Dead Simple Quilt-Along with Lily's Quilts.

When it all began, I was under the impression that the qa project was to be done in solids. Not sure how I got that, but that was my plan. And somewhere along the way I took Lynne's great idea to ask Peg and Becca from Sew Fresh Fabrics if they would make me up a custom bundle of prints to go along with my palette. (What a great service!)

I had in mind, at the time, to make a mini version of my layout in prints on the back of the big solid quilt. I still love that idea, but in the lull of the Dead Simple Quilt along, I veered off.

The idea came to me to make a mini quilt. Actually, three. One in solids, as originally planned.
I finally tried organic straight line quilting and love how it looks. The binding was inspired by a quilt in Malka Dubrawsky's book, Fresh Quilting (remember this post?). Obviously, it took a little extra work, but so worth it!

Then came another mini - still in my palette - but done in the prints.
This baby got my very first free-motion quilting.

Lastly, what choice did I have but to do a third mini done with a solid/print combo.
I tried a different free-motion pattern on this one.

And so my vision of a large solid quilt turned into . . . an autumn trio.
Each quilt is 16X21".


Linking up with finish it up Friday, Celebrate Color, {Sew} Modern Monday, and of course, the Dead Simple Quiltalong.


REV. Just 'met' Elizabeth of Pieceful Life and am linking up with her little quilt monday.

26 comments:

  1. Look at you and your matching binding!! That looks very cool! Fun idea to do the three minis. I also thought the plan was to use solids, but I love seeing the prints in your chosen palette. Your quilting looks excellent, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your three quilts....thanks for stopping by my blog to see my peppermint twister. I enjoyed my visit to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The quilts are great, especially together! And your quilting is wonderful, three different designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea, Debbie!
    I love the 3 quilts - different, but so pretty together. Your FMQing looks great! And I LOVE the binding on the top quilt - I've done that once before, and it is SO worth the extra work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trio of quilts are fabulous! You're doing great on your FMQing! Love that matching binding on the top quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I heart them all!!! But the second is my favorite. Purple is my favorite color and these are just so serene looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little quilts , I love your color choices : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilts. :o)
    Great job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing those 3 together hanging on the fence brought a smile to my face!! I think my fave is the solids/prints combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear these are my favorites you have made to date, and yes the binding on the solid one is FABULOUS! I also was under the impression at first that this quilt was supposed to be solid only, I also wonder why that was? Seriously, if you ever get tired of them, I will gladly take them off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the mini's are great. I love your color choices they look great together. Came over to you from Crazy Mom Quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your minis! Great color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited you made the three minis - that is SUCH a great idea. Plus did you see you made explore with your photo???!!! You have to get your explore poster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! Love that color palette! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm here for a second look...or drooling, whichever you prefer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so beautiful Debbie - I think my favourite is the solids one though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love, love your palette! Fantastic on the 3 quilts, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of the quilts but that matching binding that color coordinates with the squares is just phenominal~!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The matching binding just sets it off even more! These are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty with the autumn foliage! Are you planning on having this trio as a wall hanging?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Especially that solid one! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a FABULOUS trio of mini quilts. what a fun way to play! the colors are so very nice!

    thanks for linking up to Finish it up Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! So beautiful and what a great idea to make 3 mini quilts.I could never pick a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wasn't sure if the QAL was supposed to use solids either, my choices were far form solids. I love how your three turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for linking up to Little Quilt Monday....love your 3 mini quilts : )

    http://piecefullife-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2011/10/little-quilt-mondayfall-wavy-tumbler.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are so lovely! I don't know which one I like best. Great idea, and gorgeous pallette. I've had my chosen pallette on my desktop for weeks now and haven't pulled fabric for it - you've inspired me to do that today!

    ReplyDelete