Monday, October 3, 2011

Sister Pairs

A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to win a fat quarter stack of shades of grey from Jan DiCintio on her blog, Daisy Janie. What beautiful fabric! I had been coveting it from afar, so was especially pleased to now have some! After much deliberation of pattern and accent color, I decided to use Jan's own pattern, Sister Pairs, accenting the grays with some KONA Spearmint (thanks sis!).

Daisy Janie's fabrics are 100% certified organic by the GOTC (Global Organic Textile Standard), from seed to fiber, fabric, printing, and packaging. It was so nice to work with, and I'm not sure why, whether it was the organic fabric, the larger needle I used, the Superior King Tut thread, or the 505 spray basting, but this project was a dream to quilt. It was Toni from Hoosier Toni that suggested the random angled line quilting, and I love how it looks. I used a light grey thread for most of the quilting, and at my quilting buddy, Sharon's, suggestion, I occasionally quilted with a very dark grey thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't show up in the pictures, but it adds a nice accent that you can see in person.

It was fun to finish binding this quilt while visiting family in Eastern Washington this weekend, and having my niece help me photograph it in the lovely (sunny!) yard.
I had tried to imitate the block design for the back, using mostly KONA Ash, with Charcoal and more Spearmint. Obviously, the Sister Pairs block goes lengthwise on the back, but I still like its visual connection to the front. Having forgotten entirely to photograph the back earlier, we did it at a winery as we wound our way back home, which was a fun end to an enjoyable project.

Linking up with {Sew} Modern Monday today and Quilt Story tomorrow.
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations
Fresh Poppy Design

14 comments:

  1. So cool! I really love the way you quilted this. How big is this? Is it going to be a wall hanging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Debbie! Love the colors together, and the pattern is so interesting! LOVE the quilting, too -- beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! The quilting works so well with the design and the back is great, also the binding works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! And I just love the backing. I really need to get more creative with my quilt backs. I think by that stage I am ready to get on with the quilting and don't want to put as much thought into the back as I do the front, but it sure does add a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out beautifully! What a fantastic way to show off that beautiful line of fabric! I hope Jan gets to see what you did with the bundle you won!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! I like the spearmint strips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Debbie! Great job on all part of the quilt, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt! The grey fabrics with the yellow accent make a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore the back of this quilt, what a lovely job, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DEBBIE! I love this! Such a great use of this line. AAAAAND just saw you on modern day quilts, super cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt Debbie - love the angled quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie, it looks fabulous! I really love the back, too. Great photos as well. Glad you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! The touches of color remind me of confetti being thrown in the air! I do so love the back of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I especially like the quilting!

    ReplyDelete