Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday at the Table

Fall means soup, right? I think so too. So last night I made one of my favorites. Though don't do like I did and read the recipe 20 minutes before you want to sit down to dinner! The cooking for this is done in the oven - easy, but you need to plan ahead.

But before I give you the recipe, I want to tell you that I've had some encouragement to start a Tuesday at the Table linky. A time and place where we all can share favorite recipes, experiences around the table, even quilting and sewing projects for the table. No better time to start than today! So link up at the end of this post  . . . and let the table conversation begin!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

2 pounds butternut squash (peeled and seeds removed) cut into 2 inch cubes
2 ripe but firm pears peeled, quartered and cored
1 medium leek white and pale green part only, cleaned and sliced
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into quarters
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock

Place all the vegetables in a bowl with 1/4 tsp salt, and the olive oil - mix well and place vegetables on a baking sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven 45-55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Place 2 cups of the broth with half the roasted vegetables in a blender and purée.  Place the mixture into a pot on stove at medium temp.  Repeat with the remaining 2 cups stock and roasted vegetables. (I prefer doing my pureeing right in the pot on the stove, with a hand blender - either works.)

Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt (more if you think it is needed) and a little fresh ground pepper. Heat until warm.

Serve with crumbled Stilton Blue Cheese on top with chopped chives or green onion.




6 comments:

  1. Yay! I don't think I've ever mentioned it to you, but I was hoping you would start a link-up for this! And how fitting because today I posted about that kale salad. I also have a big squash on my counter that might be wanting to turn into soup. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippie! I'm so glad you decided to add the linky thing! I've made this soup before, but my recipe sure didn't have pears in it! The picture alone makes me want to dive right in and make this for dinner very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks SO yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A linky! Yea! Do you know I have 15 butternut squash sitting on my back porch table that I grew over the summer? Guess I'm finally going to make some Butternut Squash Soup tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious - bookmarking to try out later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,
    I tried this soup last night and it was delicious! I didn't have the blue cheese crumbles for on top, but used lots of fresh grated parmeson which was nice, but didn't give the little bite of the blue cheese. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete