Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday at the Table

There's a new shop in town! It's called Book Larder, "a community cookbook store", and just opened October 12.

Well, you know me and cookbooks! There was an event on their schedule that interested me right away, so I booked us tickets, and hubby and I went last night!

Greg Atkinson "measures meals by how memorably they bring people together." He is a Northwest chef, a commentator, and an author, and we had the pleasure to hear him read from his newest book. He read about the time he cooked for Martha Stewart, about cooking with his aging mama, and about a casual meal with friends that transformed a moment in time - all amusing and heart-felt.
Greg Atkinson: At the Kitchen Table

One thing that characterizes our culture, he said, is that we "go out, get food, bring it home, and tell stories about it." I can't speak for most of you, of course, but Greg's statement certainly fits our family. Any meal, any time, there is discussion about the food. It's like it's an essential component of how it nourishes us.

I wanted to share a recipe today that seriously comes from my kitchen - one of those "family favorites" that has been made again and again. I actually got the recipe in a demonstration techniques class in college, so I've been baking these up for a long time. They are simple to make, but yummy . . . I hope you enjoy them.

PUMPKIN BARS

Mix together:
4 eggs
¾ c. melted butter
2 c. pumpkin,
2c. sugar

Add:
2 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
½ t. cinnamon
2c. flour
Pour batter into greased & floured jelly-roll pan (10X15"). Bake at 350-degrees for 30 minutes.

For frosting, blend together 3 oz. cream cheese, 3 c. powdered sugar, 6 Tb. butter, 1 t. vanilla, & 1 Tb. milk.Spread over cake; sprinkle with chopped nuts if you like. Chill slightly before cutting into bars.



6 comments:

  1. I think if I ever found a store like that around here they might not be able to get me to leave! Thanks for the Pumpkin Bar recipe, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have never had or heard of anything even like Pumpkin bars before, but since I have been craving the heck of out pumpkin, I am going to have to give it a try! What a neat bookstore, I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those pumpkin bars sound delish! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cookbook store? That sounds like it would be so much fun to browse through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought about this post all week long - a cookbook store sounds wonderful to me. :) Pumpkin bars - yummy!

    ReplyDelete