Thursday, January 17, 2013

Practice

One of my favorite quilts still, is my Kaleidoscope quilt, which I made along with Elizabeth/Don't Call Me Betsy over a year ago. It lives on our family room couch, and is the first thing I reach for if I get a little chilly. At the time, it was a real stretch for me, both in technique and fabric selection. But overall, the quilt-along was a really positive experience. So I knew when I saw Elizabeth's Lucky Stars block of the month club, that even though it  consisted of entirely foundation paper pieced blocks - not really my comfort zone - it would be worth doing. And I couldn't resist the opportunity to brush up on my skills, or at the very least, keep them active.

First up was a practice block, which I finally got around to facing last night. I understand the purpose of having a 'practice' block, but there's no way I'm considering this block any less special than the other 'lucky stars' I will eventually make this year. It's just plain cool.

Anyway - I have a palette in mind, and that would be loosely following that of Architextures.
I don't have the whole line, but I have several, and did purchase a charm pack of Architextures coordinates. I plan on using a bit of all of the above stack plus other prints from my stash as I go along. You can see I've already added in that bottom print from Juggling Summer.

Here is my first block, with the background I intend to use throughout. It's called "Swirling Star" and measures 6 1/2". It's great that the patterns we get have two options - this smaller block plus a 12 1/2" block. Since so many of the blocks I seem to make are the larger size, I decided to go with the smaller for this project. They may end up together in a quilt, or used in small projects as I go - not quite sure. But I do know I can't wait to try the next one!

29 comments:

  1. Wow - that block looks amazing Debbie! Love that you are using the Architextures fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These blocks are going to be fantastic! I kind of wish I'd joined! I love paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Debbie! And I agree, this one is too fun to just be a practice block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is the most beautiful 'practice' block isn't it? No wonder you want to use it in the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous, Debbie!! Love that background fabric you picked from Architextures, I love that print :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great, and love the background choice! I haven't sussed out where my Architextures is going yet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely block, you are going to do fine with the blocks. I love the fabric choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job, Debbie! I'm drooling over the Architextures. I really need to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, how awesome is this going to be with Architextures as the background! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty, Debbie!
    What a great idea to use Architextures for these stars!
    I am completely in love with these paper pieces stars, and can't wait for Feb 1st to make the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great Debbie. I don't mind foundation piecing, but tearing off the paper.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it is amazing! Ironically I just purchased almost all of that same line and a coordinates jelly roll for a new project I'll be starting in a few weeks! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing block, Debbie! Great fabrics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, totally cool. I love the not-totally-solid neutral background. I never think to do stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice!! I'm in the BOM too! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks fantastic Debbie. I haven't gotten around to my practice block yet, but I agree, it is way too cool to be considered anything but special! Still deciding on fabric selection, but hope to be ready to jump in soon.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous. And I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this block is amazing and I love this Architexture fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous, Debbie! I love your fabric choices -- especially the one you're using for the background!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great fabric choices, love the first block!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Debbie, your star block is fantastic! And of course I love those fabrics - wish I had some in my stash! Great choise for colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my favorites by far, love the bright green in the middle, and the block overall.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the movement from the sketch print. And Architextures. How do I love thee? This is an awesome block!

    ReplyDelete
  24. holy hell debbie! this is amazing! i love the movement in the block it looks like it is spinning with all of the color!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Definitely too good to be practice! Look forward to seeing the rest of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was wanting to do a neutral print for the background combined with colorful prints for the stars. I showed my fabrics to people and they looked at me like I was a little cray cray. Now I'll just show them yours and say, see-it so works! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete