Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

I told hubby yesterday, "We need to go do something interesting so I can write a Table post." And I'll report on that in just a minute. But meanwhile, it occurred to me that there might be foodie things you would actually like to hear about - ? I just do whatever strikes my fancy each week, but let me know if there are specifics, ok? And while I'm asking questions, I've been mulling over what you Tuesday followers and linkers like best about Tuesday at the Table. Is it the recipes? The stories? The giveaways? Or do you just plain like foodie talk and anything goes? Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Back to the "something interesting" we did yesterday . . . we had every intention of hunting down a certain food truck. Remember that bacon jam I mentioned earlier in the month? Well, it's made by skillet, and I really wanted to check them out. Besides, hubby had given me their cookbook for Christmas, and my interest was piqued. Unfortunately, the truck wasn't out and about, but there is also a skillet diner, so we went there instead.
We waited 30 minutes for a table, so there was plenty of time to notice the wall decorated with cast iron skillets, that the waitstaff all wore plaid shirts, the water glasses were canning jars, and the napkins were kitchen towels.
Eventually we got to the menu. And several items were very tempting, but we settled on "the burger - bacon jam, arugula, creamy bleu cheese" on a fine brioche bun. Mighty tasty. {I kinda wish we'd tried another of their signature items - "poutine - hand-cut fries, gravy, cheddar, herbs," but we just weren't sure. Would they be too weird, or truly awesome?}
So there you go. An odd little adventure just to try a burger with bacon jam. I'd do it again.

(If bacon jam sounds delish to you too, I've found a couple of decent sounding recipes to make your own here and here. Of course, skillet also does mail order.)

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to get your dh do something fun! I'll have to remember that one.
    Looks and sounds very cozy. I might have to try one of the recipes.
    Gelukkig nieuwjaar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...well I like how to make ingredients, not that I'm against recipes. Today we made ricotta, so I'm always looking for how to make basics I can build from.
    I dunno, poutine can be weird or awesome, we made some earlier this month and we didn't go get cheese curds from pike place so we "cheated" and they were only pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, and a nice, quirky place to dine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poutine is rather popular in Quebec, I think you should give it a try. I learned something about food this week, I learned how to use OpenTable to book interesting restaurants on line at the last minute. Probably you already know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burger and salad does look good. Happy new Year.hope you get some sewing time today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like all the food talk here. Interesting places to eat,kitchen gadgets, and fun ingredients.
    That burger looks awesome. Never heard of Poutine, so I need to get on that one. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a fun place to try. That burger looks yummy! I'm one of those who have not heard of Poutine.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being from Canada I very much recommend you try Poutine....so good and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilty talk on your blog, the side projects, the troubles with projects and your stories. I tend to skim Over your foodie talk because I just don't eat the kinds of foods that you eat, but I do love your blog very much. I'm constantly checking for updates and frequently carouse your archives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poutine is a Canadian dish but I must confess - I am Canadian and have never tried one (I'm not much of a french fry gal!). Bacon, on the other hand, is pretty much on top of my "mmmmmm" list. I had plans to make bacon jam for my boys' stockings this year but my to-do list and time got away from me. On the upside, this leaves me a good idea for next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy, yummy poutine and yes, I am Canadian too! LOL! It makes my arteries clog just to think of it, but a nice "treat".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you should have had the poutine. Of course it is not the same as the Quebecois poutine up here in Canada, but I bet it would have been a pretty awesome compliment to your burger and bacon jam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That burger looks and sounds amazing! Wow.

    I'm always surprised that poutine is so popular in Canada. Usually, it's Americans who are all over the weird, ridiculously fatty concoctions, but that one is all Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love how you wanted to go hunt down Bacon Jam and the hubs was right there with you. So very cool. :)
    I like everything about Tuesday at the Table: foodie talk, stories, recipes,etc. (the giveaway is not the motivation for me to link up - I do it for fun.) I love reading what "strikes your fancy each week" and I'm sure that I am not alone.
    As for skillet - the pumpkin sauces caught my eye. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bacon jam totally caught my eye when you talked about it before! Have you tried to make it at home yet? I'm going too as soon as you tell me which recipe is the "right" one ;)

    As for me I like the recipes and the stories and the motivation to document and share what I'm making - be it food or fabric :) Thanks for making it happen and sharing it will all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made the bacon jam found on spoon.fork.bacon over the holiday break. It was incredible, and really fun to make. My house smelled amazing for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. im really interested in this bacon jam idea....

    ReplyDelete