Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Postscript {three}

Pretend briefly that it's Christmas morning and there's a flurry of gift-opening. Instead, a final flurry of project reveals . . .

I'd seen and heard about the Jane Market Bag and boy am I glad I went and found the pattern and tried it. It sewed up like a dream, and I'll definitely be making more. I really wanted to use a linen print from my stash, an Echino Fabric by Estuko Furuya, but realized that it was a border print. Not to dissuade myself, I made it work, putting the birds on the front panels and the dots on the back. Since the recipient is a writer I used  a comma print for the pockets and lining. My favorite feature of the bag is the sewn-down corner seams, though next time I plan on using some interfacing to stabilize the bag. Though sturdy enough, mine doesn't stand tall on its own, and I would really like it too. Meanwhile, I highly recommend this bag - check out the Jane Market Bag flickr group for lots of lovlies.

We gifted my mom with a Kindle, so of course it needed a quilted cover! I had used the Kindle Case Tutorial by Ellison Lane once before so I knew exactly what to do. A floral from Ruby Star Shining seemed perfect as the main fabric, especially once it was straight-line quilted. Luckily it fit mom's Kindle like a glove.

For grandgirl, I started off intending to make the log cabin slippers from Ayumi Mills on Interweave{By the way, there's Interweave coupons right here.} But they were sized for adults and time was getting tight. So when I came across a toddler's pattern by ithinksew, I kind of merged the two. As a substitute for the grippy fabric that was called for as the soles of the slippers, I used Pellon Peltex wrong-side out. That worked fine, but the final project isn't as cushy as I'd like, so next time, I'll used some fusible fleece in both the uppers and soles. But the cute factor - totally right on.

I wanted to make some potholders for my coworker, and used Jeni Baker's hst potholder tutorial which worked perfectly with the mini charms I had on hand. With Essex as the 'solid' and a layer of both batting and Insul-bright, these stitched up quick and sturdy.

Lastly, I tried a couple new gift bag tutorials in my race to Christmas. Both happened to be by s.o.t.a.k handmade, and I was more than pleased with them both. There was a Drawstring Bag with an easy to install casing . . .
and an altered version of The Big Apple Shoulder Bag, with only one side tie. Here's a few of my fabric-wrapped packages (clockwise from upper-left): Lined Drawstring Bag, a Ruby Star Pillowcase Pouch, a fat-quarter-as gift-wrap, and the Big Apple bag.
Very festive, yes? Now forward to the new year . . .

15 comments:

  1. We must be psychic- I was just preparing a blogpost entitled "A Flurry of Finishes"! And all your finishes are wonderful! I love the ipad cover and the drawstring bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely collection of gifts there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found myself oohing and ahhing throughout the entire post. The Jane Market Bag is a standout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything here just makes me happy, such lovely presents, beautiful fabric choices and wrapped up nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of loveliness here! Thanks for all the great links too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic projects! I adore those slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb--loved all your projects--especially the cute slippers! You are so creative. Someday I want to be like you and sew-sew-sew! I'm reorganizing my sewing/painting/blogging desk in my downstairs office so I hope to start some projects soon.
    Happy New Year! Blessing to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very inspiring show and tell. I love the shape of that bag, and those slippers are so cute. I like your apron in the previous post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Debbie, the slippers and bag especially are gorgeous. Happy 2014 to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, all of your items are so nice. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure do enjoy reading your blog! If you want to make the best bag out there - here it is

    http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13297

    I have made it 4 times now and it does stand up by itself and everyone who receives one from me just loves them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never cease to amaze me Debbie. How you get so many fun projects done is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such fun projects, you are amazing! I particularly love the Jane Market Bag, it's so fun and funky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great ideas & love the slippers

    ReplyDelete