Friday, April 18, 2014

An Addition to the Trio

Months ago, I made a trio of quilted pillows for my mom. And of course, they needed a coordinating quilt to keep them company on the couch.
The pillows had been made with Michele D'Amore's Habitat plus some Kona Sweet Pea. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of all of those for a whole quilt, so I used what I had and added in some stash finds that played well. Having made a Disappearing 9-Patch quilt before, I knew the basics and just winged it - starting by cutting oodles of 5" charms and mixing them up to made 9-patches. In case you haven't made the pattern before, p.s. i quilt has a great tutorial here.
We went through the entire fabric store looking for backing, thinking first a black would be nice, no maybe a green, and on and on. At last we found a perfect creamy solution - Dear Stella's Honeycrisp Cobblestone in Stone. Trust me; it's lovely.
For quilting, I used the same Aurifil 50wt #2326 (tan) as in the pillows. "Tan" sounds kind of ho-hum, but this one sure isn't and with its lovely sheen, it really was just right. Mom requested her favorite organic straight-line quilting, which I did pretty dense - about 3/8 to 1/2" apart. It totally suited the block pattern, and gave the quilt a great texture which I know will only be improved by washing.
The binding is a Habitat dot, and a nod to Heather/Winding Bobbins, who recently shared a binding finish technique that worked so well. I'm a bit of an aficionado in regards to binding, yet the perfect {straight-forward} binding finish has been elusive. This is it. The quilt finished about 54x64" - a perfect lap quilt size that also just happens to look marvelous touring around mom's beautiful garden.

Linking up with Finish it Up Friday. This quilt was on my 2014 FAL Q2 list.

18 comments:

  1. Ahh, the ghastly green finds a home! Great job :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely set now for you mom. I love the pictures, you are having a beautiful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty quilt. That final picture has me missing the PNW so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very nice Debbie. Usually it's the other way around--the pillows come after ; )
    Love that garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I like the backing fabric color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! And I love the photo of the quilt and pillows together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT'S the kind of quilt I can see laying on my couch. Even though I love the really colorful ones, they never look right with my decor. I may have to steal your palette. Also, your backyard is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I'm trying to quilt as fast as you, and I can't do it! :) Love the set!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt really makes for the completion of a nice set Deb! And...what I treat to take a tour of your mom's garden :o) Please tell her how much I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous garden, and a perfect quilt to complement it! ;) It looks like a lovely companion to the pillows. You're a good daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful. It coordinates beautifully with the pillows and that backing is just perfect. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lucky mum _ I bet she was delighted with the set! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goes perfectly with the pillows... That's how to keep a mother happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors of this quilt playing in such a beautiful garden/yard - great job

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, so glad the binding technique worked out well! It's my new go-to technique. Beautiful quilt finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt, Debbie, and I know on IG you said it was your mother's gardens where were photographing? Those are gorgeous too!

    Love the tip on the binding. I've been using Anne Deister's tip (from her pattern) and that's been working well for me too, but you it's always good to have another clever one in the bag.

    Congrats on another finish!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. the quilt is lovely, but that garden is really pretty too

    ReplyDelete