Friday, April 4, 2014

From Whence Inspiration Comes

When I revealed my "Still Swooning" mini last week, there were many comments on the quilting.
The thing is, the quilting was easy-peasy, and as I mentioned then, it was all inspired by this little corner-post.
I find when I think about the quilting for any of my projects, I look first at the project itself to see if it can inspire me. And this one certainly did. Just for fun, I thought I'd share my process on this mini - just to show you how simple it can really be!

This 3x18" ruler and my hera marker were all the tools I needed. I laid my ruler down and marked a line around the ruler as shown.
Then I slid the ruler down to extend that one long line on the right side of the 'U'.
As you can see, I echo-quilted within the 'U', and along the left-hand sides of my original markings, which resulted in a fun zig-zag pattern that filled the left side of the quilt. I liked that so much, I reset my ruler to the right, off-setting it a bit from the original, and marked again.
I filled in the second "U" and then went for a third, this time sliding my ruler up a bit to offset this "U" from the other 2. From there, I just filled in the third "U" and then echo-stitched to the right, to fill in the rest of the quilt with more zig-zag.
See how easy that was? Not too taxing, but something fun and unique for this particular project.
I'm kind of fond of how your eye dances around the movement caused by the quilting. 
So tell me - what inspires you when it comes to quilting designs - ? Inquiring minds want to know.

24 comments:

  1. I think I could handle this. Thanks so much for breaking down the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks for showing this kwilting design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally go with whatever I'm in the mood for doing! I LOVE my hera marker, it's the most brilliant thing ever and I also find that when I use it I don't get as much shifting of fabric when I quilt - I think the pressing motion helps somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Debbie. I love how you come up with such a variety of ways to do straight line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Thank you. Pinning it now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for explaining it. I could not figure it out. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing - it's always nice to know how people are inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the quilting on this little quilt. I am inspired by many things with quilting, it depends on the project. Often it is by how I want the final quilt to look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun idea for something other than total straight lines. Thanks for filling us in on the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Work as always, but this particular piece made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fun and very informative Deb. I love how you explained it...so helpful!

    Often, what inspires me and what I think I can actually pull off are two different things ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This little quilt is lovely! Thanks for sharing your quilting secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Straight-line quilting can be so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm inspired by the fabrics and the overall design. Sometimes I want to echo the shapes, or call attention to a detail in the fabric. But as somebody else already noted, what I Can do and what I Want to do are not always the same thing! But it'll come with time. Thanks for showing how you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks! Easy peasy but very, very effective! Choosing quilting designs can still be difficult for me. Sometimes, the pattern or fabric just speak to me. Other times I want to try a new quilting method and just jump in. And of course I get a lot of inspiration from pictures of similar quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilting on this beautiful mini is just brilliant - love that little corner stone where you got your inspiration from!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh it is neat to see the process! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! I adore this mini and think your quilting is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your process, Debbie.

    I'm often inspired by the fabric in the quilt when it comes deciding upon a quilting design. For example I love to quilt curves or wavy lines on quilts with straight lines in the fabric (or in the blocks themselves).

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great! I love seeing the up close details!

    ReplyDelete