Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Triangles

After putting a triangle quilt on my recent quilty bucket list, it seemed serendipitous when I saw The Sassy Quilter announce a Triangle QAL. I didn't waste time picking out a stack of special fat quarters from my stash - Clover Sunshine in Cloudy by Alison Glass Design.
Since I didn't have quite enough prints, I added in some stash solids, and to make the best use of the fabric I did have, I cut my triangles at 9", a bit larger than the norm.
With triangles that large, it was pretty quick work sewing the top together. It measured 46" x 62" once I trimmed the sides.
For backing, I pieced together 2 more stash finds - both are from Carrie Bloomston's Collage by Windham Fabrics. Up close, that purple that reads as solid is really a tone on tone with a great graphic design. And you probably recognize the newspaper stripe, which is a real favorite of mine. Together, they made a great back for this quilt, and just look how they show off the quilting!
Speaking of, I quilted with Aurifil 50wt #2535 (Magenta), which coordinated so well with the back, and just added to the fun the triangles were having on the quilt front.
I quilted simply on either side of every line of each triangle, and then bound the quilt in Modern Solids in Daffodil.
Overall, this was a really fun experience, and I'm happy to mark one off of that bucket list! Hmmm. I wonder what's next . . .

I'll be linking up with the Triangle QAL when it opens next week. This quilt was on my 2014 FAL Q2 list.

41 comments:

  1. Wow Debbie, what a fantastic Foto with this Blue Wall. Your quilt is shining in Front of this Blue. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great spots for picture taking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon you have a double sided quilt there as the back is as beautiful as the front is stunning. Fab finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is lovely and using bigger sizes for triangle would be a great way to use some of my favourite larger prints. Thanks Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serendipitous indeed! Very pretty and that blue wall makes a gorgeous backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Love the mix of prints and solids and your photos turned out so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And don't forget that fabulous yellow binding- so striking! I am doing a similar quilting line on my Scrappy Sandwiches- I find it very effective! Great finish Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!
    I love the 9 inch blocks -- I might have to try that. I'm kind of stalled out with a half finished quilt using the 6 inch triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice job! I just love this happy quilt

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a happy quilt! I really like the addition of some solids, too ~ serendipitous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just delicious, Debbie! The fabrics are amazing together. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Annabelle - the back is definitely as pretty as the front. Beautiful finish Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are getting me on the triangle bandwagon! And I love the back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I need to play with triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome use of fabric! So bright and beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. it looks wonderful -- really reminds me that I need to get on the basting and quilting of mine so that i will be ready for the link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Debbie! I love triangles and your quilt is fantastic! So great colours and you have found wonderful places for photos! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! And using those large triangles allows you to try something new and not have it be so fiddly for your first try. And a very striking finish it makes too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, this one is my current fav! I really love the jewel tones in this quilt. I checked my rulers last night and I have an 8 inch 60 degree one. That'll work. You've inspired me once again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely finish! The back is so awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for the bucket list! Beautiful job, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!!! Wow!!! Very pretty!!!! I love the back too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, love the background in that first pic, it really made the colours pop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilting really makes the triangles pop. Love the solids mixed in with that fabric range.
    Very colorful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love how all the pics turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great colors! Love this quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it and especially that you used such big triangles. Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is just so VIBRANT ! It's gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic finish, Debbie. I love the saturated colours you used for this quilt. Really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it! It's so bright and happy and the yellow binding is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This quilt is awesome and your photos are stellar! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's beautiful and the quilting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This came out really neat. I love the pieced back. Details on the back can really add to the look of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have a triangle quilt on my Someday List...yours it wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice mix of prints and solids and a beautiful choices for the backing and binding, too! Lovely and very sweet finish, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the bright colours! So fun and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You know I just love this quilt! and your great photography. Just wanted to make it official here:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I see a triangle quilt in my near future. I just bought two of Alison's FQ bundles of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Found the answer myself to your fabric choice. The colours are amazing and love the binding. 9" triable really show the fabric off. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Found the answer myself to your fabric choice. The colours are amazing and love the binding. 9" triable really show the fabric off. Well done!

    ReplyDelete