It's not every day that unreleased fabric lands on my doorstep. So being able to work with a stack of Jungle Ave. from Sara of Sew Sweetness was a special treat. The colors are so rich, and each print has a magnetism that drew me right in. The fact that they play so well together is just a bonus. So thanks again, Sara!Spiraled' quilt.
Right off, I wanted the low-volume "Underground Route" print to act as a background. I didn't have enough to use it for the whole quilt, so I made it a focal point behind the largest spiral, with American Made Brand solid in Light Cream filling in the remainder of the quilt's background.
Similar to the design of Spiraled, but not quite identical, I 'built' the quilt on my design wall with 2" (finished) half-square triangles and squares. And as before, a few of the spirals escaped into the border and out into the binding. Sometimes that happens.
Speaking of the border, I was in a quandary whether to go subtle like Spiraled, or bolder. Obviously, I let the strong colors of Jungle Ave. sway me, and chose a solid Michael Miller Cotton Couture in Mermaid to frame it all just a bit. For backing, I discovered a fun Brandon Mably "tents" in my stash that seemed to match the mood of the front.
For quilting, I used Aurifil 50wt #2021 (Natural White) and using my walking foot, quilted one big square spiral, beginning at the tip of the largest patchwork spiral. I had been saving the final Jungle Ave. print - "NeighborHoods" - for the binding, and I really like how it gives a stripey effect without actually being so. And for the final detail, just a touch of Angled Matched Binding for those escaping spirals.