Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Canvas, Baby

When I needed to make a quick but sweet baby girl quilt last weekend, I jumped from one idea to another. And then it came to me. What would really be fun would be another Canvas quilt. A pattern by Leanne/shecanquilt, I'd made it twice before, as a wall quilt, and as a pincushion. Making it for a baby quilt sounded perfect.
I had made the other 2 Canvas projects in solids and linen. For this one, I alternated cotton solids with prints in the center. The borders are the most delightful Modern Solids in grey by In the Beginning. To quote Pink Chalk Fabrics, "These fabrics are yarn dyed, woven fabrics with one color in the warp and another color in the filling. The warp and weft threads are generally a tonal variation of the same color creating an iridescent look. The color changes as the cloth moves in the light. The base cloth has a silky smooth hand and beautiful drape." Oh yeah! It brought that pink to life.

For the backing I found a bright mod dot - Finlandia by Free Spirit. I actually received several yards of this in the Stashtacular flickr swap several years ago, and have hung onto it for who knew what. I thought it was perfect for this little quilt, and I still have enough left for another small backing, which makes me oddly happy.
Since "quick" was kind of a key factor with this one, I turned to my trusty serpentine stitch for quilting, choosing Aurifil 50wt #4670 (Silver Fox - love that!). It made me smile to sew with and added a subtle something special to the pinks and grey both. Binding, though not very evident in the photos, is the Sherbet Pips square dot, providing an understated little accent to finish things off.
Destined for a baby, I chose to wash Canvas, Baby, which also offered me the perfect chance to see the crinkle. Win again.

18 comments:

  1. And what a cuddly, crinkly beauty this is! Your work continues to inspire Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely and I think I may need to steal your idea for a certain baby I need to sew for! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a sweet little quilt! will have to remember this one when I need a quick baby gift too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, this is such a nice version of Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt for a baby. wonderful use of color. Love the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt. There's a lucky baby out there somewhere. I love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt and color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun! I love how the polka dots really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah baby!! This is just perfect in every way Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt turned out so well. That large space of grey is just so textured and looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! It's sure to please. Funny coincidence as I completed my Canvas quilt this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous. The idea of using grey as a neutral/background is slowly growing on me. It's a colour I've never used before xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! Thanks for all the details. Love that grey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's wonderful Debbie. I wish my machine had that stitch...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the backing fabric you chose! Not that I don't like the front, too. But, Wow.

    ReplyDelete