Thursday, August 21, 2014

On the Go

When I saw the Simple Mesh Bag by The Inspired Wren on Pinterest, I thought it was so clever, and ordered some polyester hex mesh on the spot. I decided playing with my little stash of Cotton + Steel would be fun, and the bag was a quick easy sew.
But yeah, I had plenty of mesh left over, so I tried my hand at another bag of my own design. Measuring 6"x9 1/2", it's not perfect, but I kinda like it. One feature of this little bag is that I laminated the fabric you see through the mesh with Pellon's Vinyl Fuse, originally thinking it would be great for a traveling wash cloth and soap, but instead I filled it with my journal supplies. Either way it works. And though the horse fabric is subtle through the mesh, I thought it was still fun, and of course on the back, they're running free!
So of course I had to try again - this time making a "packing cube"-inspired bag. This one is 14" x 16" and turned out larger than I really wanted, but I was winging it - sewing on the fly - so whatever. It still will fit into my carry-on suitcase, which is what I was after.
So there you go - once again sewing up items I could have easily - and maybe more time-effectively - purchased, but now that just wouldn't be the same, now would it?

11 comments:

  1. Why would anyone want to purchase cheaply made (crap) when you can make beautiful, well-made pouches like this!!! These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to make a packing bag similar to the ones sold by Lands End but was stuck on how to sew the zipper to make it open from the surface. However, I love your version with the simple fold over tab! And your fabric choices are much cuter than plain ripstop nylon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. Your bags are so much prettier than those you can buy and totally unique to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these, Debbie! How much did you order?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the packing cube! I may have to give that one a go, too.

    Feel free to link up your finished bag on the Inspired Wren Share page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all your fun projects! Good for you for keeping going on the mesh tangent and turning out all these fun "containers." They are looking great!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look great! My dad has a ton of these in black for travelling, especially when he's going walking, maybe that's what I need to use the mesh I bought for...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would definitely not be the same to buy the bags. Plus then you would have to make do with som ugly fabrics or plastics. Wouldn't be nice at all. Your bags are wonderful - totally wort the time and effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I think Cotton + Steel is a nice weight for bags and binding.

    ReplyDelete