Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pillowy

Pillows aren't really my normal make, but you wouldn't know it from my sewing this last week. First was this irresistible Dala Horse using the pattern by Stitched in Color.
Even though paper-piecing like this isn't the most relaxing for me, I love how it turned out, and "got" to try sketch stitching for the very first time. It went well! So after a simple contrasting border and a big ole quilted crosshatch, I finished it off with an invisible zip.

After that, I really had no other imminent pillow plans until I saw the snowflake pillow teaginny made with During Quiet Times' pattern. I, uh, kinda had to make one myself straightaway.

The pattern has 3 sizes - 6", 9", and 12" blocks. I made the 9" snowflake, added a narrow frame, and pretty much copied teaginny's quilting. This time, I tried a new zipper tutorial - an easy, perfect lapped treatment by Pile O'Fabric. Boy it went together nice, and I'll be using that technique again. In no time at all I had a sweet seasonal 12" cushion. That was fun!

For me, there's a special pleasure in sewing that is spontaneous - making things that weren't planned at all. Now where'd I put that TO DO list? {smile}

Linking up to Fabric Tuesday.

17 comments:

  1. These are Super! I'm looking for the make this horse and snowflake during the Christmas - better later than... x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a blanket person more than a pillow person. But these two are so cute. I really need to start making some just for fun. I love that snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your Dala horse is stunning! My mother-in-law (who is from Sweden!) would LOVE this for Christmas. Now to figure out if I have time to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both very nice! Magistrra13 at yahoo dot com
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. two great pillows! I love the lapped zippers. use that one often

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cushions! The horse is so cute and snowflakes always make me smile, if I wasn't drowning in wips I'd be making one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about spontaneous sewing, the pieces often become my favourite projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pillows Debbie - really love the horse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, I love to make pillows, and these look like they must have been rewarding to create! I especially like the snowflake pillow for this time of year- I want a red one, too. Thanks for sharing the lapped zipper tutorial- I can always use a little help with zippers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely and will be perfect for holiday naps or lounging about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of these turned out so fun Debbie! I need to try a zipper on a pillow...usually I go for the easy envelope closure. Which of these two methods would you recommend for a first attempt?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I woke up thinking about your blue and white snowflake pillow this morning--and had to come and leave a comment about how beautiful it is. I love the crisp white and inky blue combo--so lovely!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'll make the snowflake block for my fair isle quilt label

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two perfect pillows! I love them!! ... and thanks for the links to the zip tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete