One portion of the challenge was 'seeing space,' and it was indeed interesting to see the differences as the space between design strips was adjusted.
The part of the challenge that really caught my attention, though, involved designing and constructing blocks, then observing the space as the blocks were rearranged.
Here's the 4" block I designed using paper shapes....
and after making four blocks as instructed, the variety of ways I arranged them.
Oh yeah, my plan changed in that moment. Inspired by her design, I made six blocks in fabric, and filling in the background with more white, gave the piece an entire new look. Since I'd been making my Mighty Lucky quilts all 17" square, I added some black and white stripes to bring the piece up to size.
Admittedly, as I sat down to quilt, I had no idea what I wanted to do, but with a weekend getaway looming, I wanted it done and fast. So making it up as I went, I stitched a mix of straight-line, match-sticks, and randomly-places Xs.
One of those times when no binding seemed quilt right, I opted for a faced-binding. And wouldn't you know, between the quilting and the faced binding, my final piece measures a scant 16 1/2" square. Oh well.
So this was kind of an intimidating challenge for me, but it was worth exploring, and the info Jacquie shared, definitely worth revisiting.
Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.