Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Venti



For some reason, I fell out of love with this quilt the moment I started in on the quilting. Something just didn't feel right, as often is the case with curvy straight-line. I think it had something to do with the thread color I chose. With the variations in color in the quilt, nothing I had was the perfect choice - I even momentarily wondered if this is why Jill/Pie Lady Quilts often uses mono-filament thread for her value quilts. But I wasn't prepared to go there quite yet, so I forged ahead, and often throughout the process I doubted my action.



The quilt started with high hopes at our guild retreat last month. I had actually talked to Jill a bit about playing with value quilts, and she mentioned that Nancy Crow suggests using at least 7 different values in a quilt. Since I had a pretty generous stack of cool Cotton Supreme Solids, I actually chose 9 and then for a bit of contrast, some Kona Pink Flamingo. Again inspired by an actual Starbucks cup, I made my own template, and then was able to cut all the tumbler shapes to size with the help of the measurements on my cutting board. [Like this....]



I gotta say, tumbler quilts go together as quick as anything I know. This one measures 56" square, and piecing the top took just a few hours once the blocks were cut. Besides making the top at retreat, I also recruited my guild-mate's help in pattern-matching a backing. Matt/@odditease is obsessive about this technique, and gave me plenty of good tips.



So up to that point, I was super pleased with what I had going. And now that it's done, I'm happy enough with the quilting. I used two Aurifil 50wts - #2810 (Turquoise) and #5006 (Light Turquoise) - for the bulk of the quilting, and obviously they're perfectly fine in and of themselves. I think it was all those different shades of fabric that made me question my choices. On some blocks, the quilting is pretty much hidden, while in others it stands out alot. I really don't know what would have been a better choice, actually. And I'll just say that almost always with quilting such as this, I always doubt it until I really get into it. The denser it gets, the more I fall back in love with it. Oh, and I did quilt the pink blocks with matching thread in squarish spirals - #2435 (Peachy Pink) - and I really like that bit.



I didn't have enough of any of my solids for a binding, and scrappy didn't seem quite right. Fortunately, I found the perfect unidentified shot cotton in my stash. Blue, cross-woven with a dark green, it totally 'fit' with those greener blocks included in the quilt.



At some point, I'm pretty sure there will be another in what I am beginning to consider a series. With Double Tall Skinny Vanilla, and now Venti, I feel like there's more I want to explore, and the tumbler block is such a friendly one to partner with. Time will tell.



This quilt was on my Q4 2017 Finish-A-Long list!

17 comments:

  1. The binding is a great color to tie it all together. I understand that feeling of starting to quilt and feeling like you are using the wrong thread color. I'm glad to hear you are happier with it now that it is finished. I tend to personally prefer using darker thread over lighter fabric more than lighter thread over darker fabric, so when there is a mix I opt for darker thread. I just know that's my personal preference. Jill's use of mono-filament is something that I can understand in this situation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting really changes a top into the finished piece. I too have started quilting something and had moments of remorse, but kept going and then the realization that a few marks on the page do not compose the entire composition and in the end you stand back and say wow that actually worked after all. Another thought about the quilting process........you are up close and personal so focusing on the details. It is not till you move back out that you appreciate the full impact of the design. Love your new quilt!
    I will be in the Seattle area for the next few months and would love to check out some quilt guilds while there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out wonderfully! I am taken in by the different values and oh, that pop of Flamingo! This is a lesson to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty, and I think the quilting is perfect! I like how you accentuated the pink block.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Venti is perfect, if you don't like it send it my way!
    I agree with 'Sewing up a Storm' focusing on the details can get me all
    messed up too. Moving back and looking at the full picture clears the air.
    The quilting is just right too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it bit maybe a tiny hit of white could lift it: some white quilting or next time a small spotted fabric in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this quilt finished, and that touch of flamingo fabric takes it into the "wow" category!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The texture of the quilting has transformed this quilt from good to great. I love the subtle colour shifts in a harmonised pallette and the flamingo pop is a great accent. I also really like the elongated tumbler shape of the blocks. Obviously I'm a fan and this is a success imho Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt Debbie! Those pops of flamingo are just gorgeous, and how clever of you to quilt those in a different design. I’m glad you have fallen in love with it again. . I loved listening to you on Pat Sloan’s podcast Maybe the turquoise and yellow could be part of this tumbler series. I wish Pat had have asked you about naming your quilts! You always come up with brilliant names. Yeah for blogs and sharing the whole story! There are a few of us left!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the quilt and the quilting. And especially the different quilting style you did on the pink blocks. The "blue" thread would have looked strange there and this way it is perfect.

    PS: Not the Starbucks visitor here so I had to google the naming choice... But what a great name. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this turned out great, Debbie! You really found a way to put your value stack to good use. I also loved how you handled the quilting with the flamingo areas. ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are many times when thread color scares me! That might be why I tend to switch colors throughout a quilt. Yours turned out great and its so easy to beat ourself up over it. I'm quite smitten with the Pink Flamingo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it. I have a small black and orange tumbler and am stuck on what color of thread to use. I may have to go the monofilament route.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting looks great Debbie ! Choosing the right design and thread colours for the quilting step is really stressful ... I usually go for light threads.
    The touch of Pink Flamingo is perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt and I totally understand how you can have doubts during the quilting process - should I have gone with a different thread, should I go with lines or FMQ, should I go denser? In the end though, I think you made the right choices and that pink is just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Falling in and out of love with a quilt-in-the-works happens to me all the time. And, like you, when I stop, listen, and then persevere - I almost always love the end result. When I don't, that quilt becomes an easy one to gift or donate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very late to this post, I am sort of randomly reading my favourite blogs backwards. I actually love this and the extra depth that the different shade of thread adds where it shows. Have you washed it yet as the thread will recede when you do that too. This quilt feels to me like long drink of water or a moment standing in the rain, refreshing and calming at the same time. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete