Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Follow the Dots

The fabric for this quilt was chosen way before the design was conceived. It was back in August that my desk calendar featured the teal and yellow combination that caught my attention, and after some research trying to find matches, I settled on Kona Cotton Solid in Everglade with Painter's Palette Solid in Lemon Ice. Fast forward a couple of months to when I traveled to California on retreat, and purchased Maria Shell's Improv Patchwork: Dynamic Quilts Made with Line & Shape to read on the way down. At retreat I was then able to begin exploring the two together, and the rest, as they say, is history.



Basically, I experimented with several of the techniques in the book, the first being improv dots. They made me very happy, and I just made more and more until I was ready to move on to something else.


Next up were the lattice checks - the yellow-framed 'square' on the right side below and 'rectangle' in the lower center. These were fun too, and I was so glad I switched up the fabrics to highlight the yellow a bit more.



Lastly were the 'tracks', such as the piece in the lower left corner above. After making the large track near the top of the quilt, I realized I really liked this technique in skinnier strips, but still, they're good no matter what the size.

Putting the blocks together into a quilt top was of course, improvisational, and it only made sense that the quilting be the same. Using both Aurifil 50wt 1125 (Medium Teal) and 2115 (Lemon), I quilted one section at a time, choosing the design as I went, stitching fairly densely in most areas. Where I densely quilted on one color but not the other, it made the contrasting bits pop.


A faced binding seemed an appropriate finish to the quilt, which ended up 32" x 34".


What was satisfying about this project was the sense of exploration every step of the way. Beginning with the dots, I let them lead me on, step by step. I've wondered whether or not I should have left more breathing room between the sections, but then again, why? Those kinds of wonderings are just part of the process, and I'm happy enough to let them be.


22 comments:

  1. Love the colours and the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! That color combination is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I just added that book to my Amazon wish list

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors work together so well; they remind me of circuit boards and cutting mats, and am especially drawn to the selected sections that are inverse of the others for background / piecing. Keeping the color palette minimal with only 2 colors and going with facing really makes the piecing the star of the show in this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring! Thanks for the walk-through. That book is going on my Amazon wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this quilt Debbie ! The two colour palette and switching between background fabrics were very brilliant ideas. Very inspiring ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her book is on my wish list. Your quilt is fabulous! Love that you kept the fabrics at a minimum while experimenting. Makes the base blocks more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to experience just what you just described!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fabulous finish! Just lovely- 💚💙💚💙💚

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks terrific. I like your color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt Debbie, I love the quilting on this. Kudos for creating on the fly - I'm in awe since it's well outside my comfort zone. I like your reason for buying the quilt book too and I'm keeping that one up my sleeve for my next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing what beauty can come of a two colored quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As with several others this book is now on my wish list. Those colors, I love together. We read too many plain fabric pastels (unless that is what you love and it is going on your bed...)becoming quilts,etc. Thanks for using real color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. When I saw the small thumbnail picture I thought it was a printed fabric and loved it then. When I saw it bigger and that it was pieced I loved it even more. Very inspiring. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a color combination! But the quilt...so cool. I'm glad you didn't leave breathing space, not that that wouldn't have been great too! I like the dense piecing and quilting! Once again you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your explorations using just the two colors helps focus on the different patterns and unifies the composition. I think it helps the different sections interact, too. I really like the bottom right where the skinny stripes meet up with the dots section. I was fortunate enough to spend four days with Maria in Sisters last year and learned some different ways to approach my improv work. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meh. Breathing room is overrated. It is a sweet feast for my eyes. I especially like the lemon quilting in the upper right. Had me fooled for a minute there thinking you appliqued that little fencework. Made me smile. Nice work.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this! The colors are fabulous together. The quilting really enhances the design. What a fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a cool quilt! I really like how fearless you are with your work - all that improv, all the way to the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see your point about being prompted by a technique to further explore improv. It’s a good approach, as evidenced by your quilt that combines several design concepts. I’m now realizing that thinking I will do improv by randomly cutting and sewing fabric doesn’t make anything with significance. There needs to be an underlying inspiration or motivation. Thanks for sharing this with me, Debbie! Your quilt is a great example of a learning composition, and it looks wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete