Monday, June 22, 2020

P.S.

Before I was even done with Scrap Stacks, I knew I would try to take the handful of leftover blocks and make another project with them. There weren't many, but enough for something small.

I started by framing them on two sides with gray string scraps, put them on the design wall, and wasn't all that thrilled. Then I changed course, divided the smalls blocks into groups, and pieced them into four blocks, shown below.


I proceded as I had done in the beginning, using the stacks technique, sliced into them, shuffled, and sewed them back together. NOW I liked it.


More scraps - and the last little block - went in to make the quilt back. Boy I love working on this small scale. So when it was time for quilting, a dense grid was no problem. I used Aurifil 50wt #2910 [Medium Olive] in an effort to highlight the green on the front of the quilt, and I kinda love it. Measuring just 14" x 15", deciding what I wanted to do took much longer than actually doing it.



I love that every bit of this little guy is straight from the scrap bin, a good portion of it via the previous project. I had Jill/@pieladyquilts on my mind often as I made this little postscript of a quilt. She has such an innate ability to make a series of projects, one leading to another. Maybe one of these days I'll manage to make a series of more than two, but for now, I'll take it.

8 comments:

  1. love your series of two! I'm becoming more intrigued by the idea of working in a series too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that small vertical sliver down the middle and how the quilting adds so much texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you quilt with longer stitches than usual? Are you also using a thicker thread to quilt with? Just wondering how you got those beautiful lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute! Densely quilting something this small is very satisfying isn't it?

    ReplyDelete