Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Aurifil Artisan Challenge :: New 8wt Thread

As an Aurifil Artisan, I was recently offered the chance to try the new, soon-to-be-released Aurifil 8wt, and I jumped at the chance. I was sent three small spools in colors 2840 [Loden Green], 2420 [Light Blush], and 2930 [Golden Toast].

Of course, I needed to come up with a project to try them out on, and with Arounna Khounnoraj's @bookhou Contemporary Patchwork: Techniques in Colour, Surface Design & Sewing fresh on my shelf, I chose a project from it - Squeeze-Frame Pouches.



Arounna's samples in the book are all patchwork, made with a combination of linen and cotton fabrics, so I followed suit, choosing solids that coordinated with the threads, some Essex, and a couple of prints. I opted to stitch with a double-thickness of thread, just as I have done in the past with perle cotton no. 8. Gotta say, it stitched beautifully, has a beautiful sheen, and I'm definitely a fan. 


Each pouch measures 5" x 5" when done, and uses a 4 3/4" metal squeeze flex frame. I had three of the correct-sized frames on hand, so I went ahead and made a trio of pouches. Recently I've been doing embroidery with a double-thickness of Aurifil 12wt, and I could tell the 8wt was thicker. And compared to the perle I had on hand, it felt very similar.




 The patchwork pouches were stitched on both sides.



What a fun little pouch design, right? I'm anxious to try more of the projects in Arounna's book.


I've long thought an 8wt would be a perfect edition to the Aurifil line-up, so I'm thrilled about this latest development. Initially, the 8wt will be available in 20 introductory colors. The Evolve collection, in partnership with @suzyquilts, launches on February 24 at QuiltCon.

6 comments:

  1. Oh what fun, to play with new thread! I'm glad they are coming out with the 8 wt. I have that weight in other thread and I love it, so I'll be looking for these! Those pouches are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pouches are really fun and I love that you have enough experience with 12wt and Perle cotton to let us know how the 8wt feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project finish! The 8 wt looks excellent for detail stitching.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made beautiful pouches with those threads. They sent you an unusual color combo, but you made them work with your fabric selections. Love how you stitched the print, reiterating in color what was already there in a monotone. Such cute pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the selection of fabrics and your sweet stitching on these pouches. I look forward to trying their new 8 wt thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. I'm looking forward to more thread-play as well!

      Delete