Monday, June 22, 2026

Bonkers

My Controlled Crazy Quilt, which I'm naming Bonkers, was so much fun to make. I really loved  making those scrappy blocks for the front especially, though making the back was great too. I estimate I used 4.25 yards worth of multi-colored scraps in the making of the front and the back.

For quilting, I opted for fancy straight-line, which consists of vertical straight-line quilting topped with organic zig-zags. I thought that went well with the mix of straight lines and angles in the quilt top. For thread, I used Aurifil 50wt 4668 [Strawberry Parfait], a red, pink, and white variegated thread. I originally planned to quilt with plain red, but was afraid it might be overwhelming, so the Strawberry Parfait felt like a good option, plus I'd never used it before. I'm happy enough with the result.

For the binding, there were a couple of ways I wanted to mimic the wide ribbon binding and hand-embroidery stitches on traditional crazy quilts. To prepare my quilt for that once the quilting was complete, I made sure to trim the batting and backing about 1.5" wider than my quilt top all around. This can be a little tricky, but with a block-based quilt, I was able to get it pretty square.

  • Then, I used a solid Kona Rich Red, and cut binding strips 8.5" wide, piecing them with straight seams, only because at that width, it would have meant a lot of fabric loss if pieced on the diagonal. Also not my norm, but I sewed it on the back first, then folded it over to the front, mitering the corners, clipping them temporarily with binder clips. [Apologies for not getting a photo of the back before the binding went on. I marked a line 1.5" from all edges, and then lined up the raw edges of the binding along it as I sewed it on. If you need help doing a chunky binding, check out Audrey Esarey's free Wide Binding Tutorial.]

  • Another detail to simulate traditional crazy quilts was to sew the binding on with a decorative stitch showing on the quilt front. I just didn't feel like this particular quilt was up for a bunch of hand-embroidery stitches, so at least the thought is there. On my Janome MC 6700P, I used stitch #106 at its widest and longest (9.0/5.0). I chose it since it kind of reminded me of the first embroidery stitch I learned, the cross-stitch, plus it mimics the zig-zag in the overall quilting.

I think it makes for a nice finish!

My priority, of course, was holding down the binding edge on the front, so placement is not always on the binding on the back, as shown below - top and third corners are front corners; second and fourth corners are back corners. But overall, I'm good with it, and I love that it's something different for me and that I tried out a decorative stitch on my machine.

The quilt front originally measured 45.5" x 54.5", but with its chunky binding, the finished quilt now measures 48" x 58".

I remember years and years ago, I thought I might want to make a crazy quilt, and even took a workshop on it. After making a small sampler, complete with hand embroidery, I decided I wasn't interested. I'm glad I waited until now, because Bonkers is much more my style. I'm thinking I might want to make another one. Don't forget! Except for the binding, scraps from my scrap basket made up every inch of this quilt. 


12 comments:

  1. I love everything about this quilt. the decorative stitch on the wide binding is the perfect finishing touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, this is a real bonkers quilt, it is so colorful and scrappy, and the wider border is the finishing touch. The decorative stitches are the cherry on the cake. I also started a quilt like this, but my scraps were so small and the lines went all the way that it made me bonkers. I cut them up into smaller pieces and by adding white and black sashings I hope it will not make you need sedatives to look at the finished quilt. It’s by far not finished yet. Have a lovely week, hugs from the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous use of scraps! While I had a chance to see this on Instagram yesterday, I so appreciate a slower read and closer look that I can get through a blog post. The variegated thread is a super fun touch to finish out the binding, too! I also just realized that the quilt size increased due to the chunky binding - so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, it's a delight to get to come back and revisit a beautiful quilt. Thank you so much for linking up with Favorite Quilt Finish!

      Delete
  4. I can tell this was a very satisfying project and finish for you! I love the binding idea, and the stitching detail. I gotta remember that quilting idea, too. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Debbie I have fallen in love with this quilt!!!! Color in abundance and I love the name - Bonkers - what a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the binding details. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun quilt! Congratulations on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's perfect in every way, Debbie! I especially appreciate the beautiful way you piece together scraps that look very random in some places, and planned in others. The unlimited color palette is striking, and has me wanting to pull out all my bins of solids! You are SO good at improv. Love the chunky binding too. Actually, it's wide enough that it could be your "quilt label." Someday I'm gonna try Bernina's tutorial about how to stitch label information onto your binding, before sewing binding to the quilt. That decorative stitch is especially nice. I'm not usually a machine-binder, but I could make an exception for something like this. This is all simply mind-bonkers perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super quilt! Thank you for the details on how you quilted and bound it. Great job! Nancy at www.quiltnans.blogspot.com (for some reason, I’m unable to comment as other than anonymous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed my sharing about it. Sorry about the anonymous...not sure why that is.

      Delete