Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Kitchen Report | 2 Weeks

After posting about our kitchen refresh, I got the impression that some of you at least, would be interested in following along with the progress. I'm still not sure if and when I'll post about it on IG, but I think I'll post occasionally here on the blog at least. 


All that to say, after two weeks, our kitchen has been gutted, one wall lowered + one removed, the ceiling removed, and the rebuilding has begun.


Initial electrical and plumbing were completed last week, as well as sheetrock put in place for the new ceiling. Back in 1988 when our house was built, a drop-down ceiling in the kitchen was a common fixture. Not so much now, so ours has been raised about 6" to match the area you can see in the photo below near the door. We're going to extend the kitchen just a bit on that one side, and I'm thinking that will be my baking station back there.


So far, so good. Of course it's different having workers in the house all day during the week, and lots of noises we aren't used to. We've set up a make-shift kitchen in our family room, and that's serving us pretty well. This week has been full of more sheetrock/finishing, and next week.... cabinets arrive!

Oh! And I am keeping up with the kitchen quilt blocks. I'm only working in three colors so far, and I've decided to keep track of what blocks I make when, not yet knowing if the resultant quilt will have the blocks grouped by color, progress, or whatever. Anyway, it's been a quick, fun little addition to my routine each day.

1 comment:

  1. great to see your progress. demolition begins next week here. your new kitchen will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete