Friday, June 7, 2013

June Bee Blocks

I confess when I saw this month's 'assignment' for the Always Bee Learning bee, I was a little worried. I may have even involuntarily exclaimed, "Yikes!" But I shouldn't have worried, as the strip-pieced hexagons were as claimed, "super easy and quick". At least easy and quick enough to be fun and intriguing even. I was really surprised what variations the pieced triangles could be arranged into. Good to know!
Strip-pieced hexagon blocks

For the Mid-Century Modern bee, we made Stacked Brick blocks per Flourishing Palm's adaption of a block by The Sometimes Crafter. It was an interesting twist to use white on one side of the "strawberry" and lime prints, and Kona Ash on the other. Our blocks will actually be used for a quilt border. *Revised to add: just posted a photo of Linda's quilt on facebook/AQuiltersTable.*
Stacked Bricks block for Linda/FlourishingPalms

By some coincidence, I ended up being bee mama in two of my bees this month. It's always a bit of a dilemma for me when it comes to choosing a block when it's my turn to pick. But I'm really pleased with what I finally settled on.

For Faith Circle, I took inspiration from sewing over pins, who along with the Cheer Circle, made a delightful quilt using the starburst cross block tutorial by SewCraftyJess. I thought the cheery colors of these stars would be perfect for one of our do.Good recipients
Cheer Circle of do. Good Stitches January 2013 Starburst Cross Quilt
Here's the sample block I made for the girls, suggesting warm colors - hot even. Definitely orange and hot pink, with yellow or red additions as they feel inspired. I've gotten a couple of blocks back already and am really excited to work on this one in the next few weeks.
Starburst Cross block

Now for That Stash Bee. I must say, when I saw kelbysews' "Fall in Winter" a while back, I was smitten, and thought it would be a terrific bee quilt.
Modern maples top complete!!!! Any quilting suggestions? #modernmaples
I was pleased to find the Modern Maples tutorial by Amanda Woodward-Jennings available online, and have asked my bee-mates to consider this small gallery for inspiration as they choose leaf colors. My sample block just made me grin.
Modern Maples block

I've never finished and posted bee blocks this early in the month, but having to prep as bee-mama put me a step ahead, so I figured I might as well finish them up and move on. Pretty fun.

17 comments:

  1. All beautiful! I love your block choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty blocks! The strip-pieced hexagons looks so impressive and I adore the Pearl Bracelet maple leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liking the stacked bricks block, with the opposing neutrals on either side. And how fun that they're going to be used for a border!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly love the stacked bricks block and am off to see if I can find the quilt they're going to border!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You've been busy! Love the hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did awesome! Now that you've done some hexies, are you a little bit tempted to do them by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what lovely blocks, Debbie. those hexies look super cool.Good to know that they were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your blocks look great! I was a little apprehensive about those hexagons at first, too. So glad they turned out as easy as advertised! And I have been debating all afternoon about whether or not to start my own Modern Maples! Probably should do a little cleaning first...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the blocks, and I'd never have thought you could strip piece those hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous array of beautiful modern blocks - your fabric choices are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Stacked Bricks block you made for me arrived in today's mail. It's wonderful! And it will look great with those blocks in the quilt center. I know I'm gonna like this one. (Yes, I could see the quilt picture you posted on your Facebook page, even though I'm not on Facebook.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the blocks! I don't know where you find the time to participate in so many bees! You are an inspiration! Love the starburst cross block quilt. The colors are so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I very much like all the blocks you show in your post; the colour palettes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks beautiful, Debbie! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete