Saturday, August 24, 2013

Anticipating Autumn

According to the Bing Dictionary, the definition of "anticipate" is to: act beforehand to address something imminent: to imagine or consider something before it happens and make any necessary preparations or changes. And that is exactly what I did when I asked the members of That Stash Bee to make Modern Maples blocks for me back in June. I really loved the many Modern Maples quilts I had seen around blogland, and wanted one for our own home. This fall. 

I started out making this block as a sample and asked for basic leaf colors on light (non-white) solids or low-volume prints.  
Even a lighter leaf on a darker background was acceptable, and since I only received 1 of those, I made 1 more and brought my total number of blocks to 20.

So earlier this week, I took all my leaf blocks, laid them out, and cut a variety of solid and print squares, enough so I could do the 5x6 block layout I had planned. This would make a nice lap quilt, measuring 60x72".

For a backing, I used a Curious Nature print by Parson Gray. It had some leafy images and also the sense of sidewalk, which in my childhood was the place where all the most interesting leaves were found. (In fact, one of my favorite childhood activities was making leaf rubbings.)
For quilting I used Aurifil 50wt #2000, which is named "Beige" but in reality is much more interesting than its name implies and nicely brought all the colored leaves to blow nicely together. I stitched straight-lines, first making a grid along both sides of the seam-lines between blocks. Then I went zigging and zagging a bit so I went through the stem of each leaf. I added more parallel lines diagonally to decrease the amount of unquilted space, though this is one of the less densely quilted quilts I've done, with the diagonals about 4" apart.
The binding is one of my new favorite prints - Carrie Bloomston's  Collage Scratch in Putty. It was just the perfect shade to blend with the mix of backgrounds, and with its subtle lines is not really a stripe but gives a bit of that effect but in a subdued way, letting the leaf blocks really be the focus. (Click the Collage link and you can see it better.)
So don't get me wrong. I am totally enjoying these last few weeks of summer, and am not over-anticipating the arrival of autumn, but on the other hand, quilt-wise, I'm ready.

This finish is from my 2013 Q3 Finish-A-Long list. Linking up with Fabric Tuesday and Finish It Up Friday.

35 comments:

  1. It's absolutely perfect for fall Debbie. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a perfect fall quilt. I am looking forward to fall and cool weather., although we have had a mild summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for fall myself. That's a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. I like your midern take on this rather traditional block. And autumn.. well no reason to fight what can't be fought and it will be here really soon anyway. And with it more indoor days and more quilting. That's okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt. I love that you have changed the orientation for a couple of blocks - so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish for Fall! It will be a wonderful snuggling under quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful welcome for fall quilt. Nice fresh look for such a traditional block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, I love your quilt. It looks beautiful photographed with all the pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your quilt is gorgeous as is the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out so nice, and the quilting is perfect! I LOVE the layout, so nice and what a great feeling to have the quilt done in plenty of time for enjoying this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Fall leaves quilt! Love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on another nice finish, and an FAL finish to boot!

    This is a lovely fall quilt, with an inspired choice of maple leaves (you did anticipate this well!). Beautiful on all scores--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply gorgeous Debbie. A lovely mix of color

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is beautiful and I love how you placed the leaves, including the ones that go the other way. I am thinking about asking for this block in a bee too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is lovely finish! It is wonderful to have had a part in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So fall! Love the photos with the sunflower too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are forward thinking, Debbie! Congrats on the finish! It looks great. I'm so glad I was a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a perfect fall quilt! :) just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful blocks! I love the purple one. I like a little purple in with fall colors. The quilting looks great too.
    Enjoy your Sunday
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a beautiful quilt! Autumn is my favorite time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Complicated patterns have their place but also simple designs mixed with wonderful fabrics and color combinations have their place also. Your maple quilt is lovely. I enjoy the idea of those "blank" blocks spaced in between the leaves. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm impressed you are ahead of the seasons. Unless you are like me whoe has a maple leaf quilt top I made last season ready to be finished for this season. :-)

    It's pretty, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beauty! I love the way you've set all of the blocks. Just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so much fun to see the traditional block made modern! Beautiful quilt, Debbie
    llordshea

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very well anticipated there, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so beautiful, Debbie! I'm really ready for autumn this year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful quilt.....I love Maple Leaves. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Crazy Mom Finish Up Friday. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful quilt.....I love Maple Leaves. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Crazy Mom Finish Up Friday. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous! I love that you've mixed in plain squares, too - it makes them look like they're falling, or like you said, scattered on the sidewalk. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian but I love a good maple leaf...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous quilt and beautiful pictures! I love the mix of simple squares and maple leaves and how some of the leaves are turned! This quilt definitely sets the mood for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was scrolling through the Finish-a-Long link up and your gorgeous quilt caught my eye! It's fun to see what everyone's been up to this quarter! I love your definition of anticipation, I think I need a bit more of that in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  32. like Holly in the comment above, I was scrolling through the list of FAL quilts and yours caught my eye. It is beautiful, and guilt inspiring. On our first USA holiday way back in September 1998 I bought fabric to make a maple leaf quilt, and guess what, I am still making it. Was actually thinking of joining FAL qtr 4 to goad myself into a finish!

    ReplyDelete