Saturday, August 3, 2013

Making My Own

With son's wedding coming up soon, I decided I needed a little clutch to use at the ceremony. Rather than run out shopping, I thought I'd try stitching something up. I didn't find any fabric in my stash that really did it for me, so again, I thought I'd wing it and 'design' something myself . . . with quilting.

I started with two pieces of Essex Linen in the "Linen" color, and two pieces of Pellon fusible batt, both slightly larger than my purse frame, which was 8" x 3". I fused the two pairs, and chose a couple of threads - an Aurifil 50 wt, #2314 (medium beige) and a 28 wt #2625 (pigeon, ie. silver). Honestly, I didn't choose the different thread weights intentionally - the colors were what went best with my dress. And I didn't think it would hurt to have a contrast in texture.

I used my hera marker to draw half a dozen curved lines across what would be the width of the purse. Then I took the 'front' piece, quilted with the beige along my marked lines, and from there I just went for it - no more markings. I stitched with my walking food and used a longer stitch length, just like any other quilting I would do. My regular quilting needle seemed to work just fine with both thread weights too.
I had adapted a pattern from one I had used previously and used it to cut all my purse pieces, hoping for the best. One extra little bit of stitching I like to do on these glue-in purses is to stitch the finished top edge about 1/8" from the edge before trying to fit it into my frame. I know it's not necessary, but it really helps me get a clean smooth edge that fits easily into the frame.
The lining, by the way, is a "Habitat" by Michele D'Amore stash find that I thought went great and was a good contrast in scale to the exterior. The photo below shows the first side of the frame drying for a bit before I inserted the second side.
And the finished interior . . .
And it's a wrap! Start to finish, it took me under two hours, including drafting my own pattern. Certainly alot more relaxing than traipsing through the mall on a hunt, and I know come wedding day, it'll be an accessory I'll enjoy using!

36 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your skill and ingenuity! This is perfect! Good luck for the rest of the wedding preparations, and best wishes to the happy couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so great!!!!
    You have a nice and snuggly bag!!!
    My kindest regards from Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, love the organic quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! You are so smart! My daughter's wedding is in a few weeks and I paid too much money for a little purse I will only use once! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb this is exquisitely beautiful! So gorgeous & it looks more artisan than hand crafted (not that hand crafted is EVER a bad thing, it's just that some handmade things are so beautiful that they're on a whole other level). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your bag on flickr this morning and I didn´t had time enough to post a comment. Now to read the background-story is so interesting! The bag is just gorgeous and fits perfectly for the wedding of your son. Best wishes from me to the couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful, Debbie. You'll be one stylish lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely design! Great lining too, gives a wow factor when you open it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so clever! I hope we get to see a pic of you using your cute bag on the wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful. I love the squiggly quilting in the different colours. Best wishes to the happy couple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely and two hours? You've got it down. My last clutch projects is in parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is great. what's your source for parts? and best wishes to the happy couple and their parents!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you can make something so perfect and customized with your skill and creativity. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! And you won't have to worry about anyone else having one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job Debbie! I have a feeling everyone is going to be asking you where you got it" some day I am going to learn how to use those little frames" take care Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant, you! It's just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of a kind and gorgeous! Better than store-bought. Well done Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Deb this is stunning! A wonderful way to show your personal style at the wedding! Of course showing off some modern sewing to the world is awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice! Love your style! Nice frame, too. That's a different looking one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a genius! That clutch is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's absolutely gorgeous, Debbie! Such a classic, rich-looking bag. You made it look so easy! Thanks for linking to the purse frames too. When you order a frame, do instructions come with it? Or do you have to find a pattern someplace? I'm guessing there might be some free tutorials online. I'd like to make a selvages clutch and put a chain on it, for wearing over my shoulder. Think that would be doable?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very creative and clever! You always inspire me!! Also congratulations to you on the future addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a clever MOG!! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So clever and beautiful, Debbie. This is going to be a clutch to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this! So perfect for the wedding day and will be handy for other times. :) Great job friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so impressed - your clutch is lovely! Great descriptions as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So beautiful! I love the simplicity and elegence.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that you made this great clutch for such a special occasion. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's absolutely gorgeous.... I love that quilting!

    ReplyDelete