Thursday, August 22, 2013

Patchwork, Please! :: Happy Hexagon Trivet

Here's another Zakka project that was really straightforward for a paper-piecing-phobe like myself. As often happens, choosing the fabrics I wanted to use took the most time. Beings a trivet is used in the kitchen, I thought a nice linen teapot would be perfect.
When you glance at the template, you'll understand, but basically I found that cutting my fabric pieces 1 1/2" x the length of each triangle + 1" worked perfectly as I stitched my way around the "circle."
When it came time to bind those 60-degree corners, I did a little research, having had trouble with them in the past. This video was helpful, even though I still wasn't 100% happy with my results. If you have some super tips on technique, I'd definitely appreciate hearing.

But overall I really enjoyed this project and am super pleased with it. I am also really enjoying all the different variations in the flickr group! Folks are going totally scrappy, using solids, minimizing the number of fabrics - each giving a different but delightful look. Nice!

21 comments:

  1. Yes, this one is on my list too! I love yours with its pretty teapot centre! Your matching fabrics are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow , taking your time over fabric choices is really worth it . Yours looks gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, so pretty, and honestly I think your pivot point on the binding look really good! I've never tried that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the soft look of this fabric combination, your trivet is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! The teapot is just perfect. You're not a paper piecing phobe still are you? You've done quite a few nice P.P. projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your binding looks great!! I love the teapot and the fabrics you chose. Thanks for the tip on how big to cut the pieces of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect centre choice for a teapot stand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a great eye for color balance. I'm officially jealous !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping to whip one of these out this weekend! I love your linen teapot though! I wonder what will be my fussy cut focus piece...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really beautiful - love the cute teapot in the centre!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm confused...I know, what else is new. Is this foundation piecing or paper piecing??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, Debbie! I'm working on this same project. You're right about the time it took to select the fabrics. I'm now at the quilting stage and have tried a bunch of things, but haven't been happy with them. How did you quilt it? In the ditch? Thanks for sharing the binding video!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the teapot a lot. Perfect for the trivet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this fabric combo, it's adorable! What is that pink print?

    ReplyDelete