Saturday, August 17, 2013

Patchwork, Please! :: You've-Got-Mail Wall Pocket

When I saw this week's project, I wasn't really sure I had a use for it. But I decided to go ahead and make a little envelope block and see if I felt inspired from there. And I tell you, one block was all it took!
I was totally smitten! And even though paper-piecing is not my favorite technique, this block goes together quickly and smoothly. And it's so fun to choose the fabric for that inside flap! Before I knew it, I had made another, loving every minute.
And then there were six.
By that time, I had in mind a purpose for my wall pockets and decided 6 blocks would be just right. Next up was creating the "quilt" for the pockets to hang on. I chose Essex Linen in linen, and quilted it diagonally just like Ayumi did. For the quilting I used Aurifil 50 wt, #2314 (medium beige) which is just a tad darker than the Essex. I thought the contrast sewing down the pockets kind of tied things together, and was obviously easier than switching out threads numerous times.
For binding I went somewhat subtle and used Michele D’Amore’s WordPlayI'm going to hang this little pocket quilt next to my sewing machine where I have very little work space. I'm thinking it will come in very handy holding thread, machine feet, and whatever I might need for my current project.

25 comments:

  1. I remember this particular block so well... I think it was my first pattern crush and I was so disappointed when I couldn't find the pattern on the web, since it had been removed. Your little envelopes are relly cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great Deb! Love the smaller size :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect use for your envelope blocks! I was very tempted to make one (two, three...) but couldn't think what I'd do with them! Now that I see yours, resistance may be useless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the envelope block too and I had in mind a similar project. Can I take inspiration from yours?...it's lovely! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love it, and wat a useful little piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your envelope linings! Hmm, maybe I *need* to make this one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so cute!
    I want one, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What cute little block. I've recently added some text fabrics to my stash so I'll defintiely have to use some and make a few of these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this is cute!! Would also be fun in a child's room to hold little treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that turned out beautifully, Debbie. After seeing your gorgeous organizer I'm so very tempted to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering what these delightful little envelopes were when they appeared on Flickr. Great idea to have it beside your sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well. I wasn't going to make this one either, but you have given me some inspiration! Guess I'll do it afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea to use this for your sewing area. I love the size and the the solid colors with the printed inside of the envelope. I can see you will get a lot of use from this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too funny we used the same briar rose print for one of our envelope insides. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally cute... and useful! You've convinced me to give it a try!!
    Love your envelopes!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been admiring your envelopes as they have appeared on IG and it is so nice to see them all together and in such a useful item too - good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute, and you're right...these blocks are so addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't realize the envelopes were 3-D. Ill have to have a closer look at my book. Your project came our really cute v

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these! They are so cute and spunky :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this.
    I have to make one of these after seeing yours

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea! I would also use one pocket for thread, and one for my bobbin cover, which is clear, therefore I tend to lose it whenever I put it down to change the bobbin.

    ReplyDelete