Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

Home and back to work after two weeks away, I took a review of the best foodie moments during our recent travels. I'll be updating all these on my Urbanspoon account, where I record restaurants we visit. (True.)

In California for our son's wedding, we had opportunity to try several new (to us) restaurants. Fresh off the airplane, my nephew put in a request for In-N-Out Burger. And to tell the truth, we all really enjoyed the burgers and fries!

With fast food on one end of the spectrum, Bluewater Grill at The District in Tustin was definitely on the other. It was one of those special family meals where not only was every single meal a real treat, but the time at the table meaningful and memorable. The best.

Before we left town we got to revisit Kean Coffee, which we'd discovered back in January. Kean would totally be my coffee shop of choice if I lived nearby.

In Portland for the PNW MQG Meetup a week later, I had the chance to visit Meat Cheese Bread with a new PMQG friend, which was a great intro to this food-savvy town.

Pine State Biscuits was deemed the best meal and restaurant experience of the weekend, hands down. We stood in line at the door, ordered at the register, nabbed a counter seat overlooking the open kitchen, and waited, thoroughly entertained by the bustling activity, eventually being rewarded by one very delicious breakfast. yum.

My biscuit sandwich with fried chicken, bacon and cheese topped with apple butter...oh my.

On our way out of town, we stopped for breakfast at the A.N.D. Cafe, which we discovered was a vegan restaurant after one glance at the menu. The most intriguing thing about this stop was the chance to try Kombucha for the first time. I had heard of it, but had no idea what it was (effervescent fermented sweet tea). I found it refreshing and very clean-tasting. 

So there's the highlights. Nothing like some good food finds while out and about!

8 comments:

  1. I love that you started out with In and Out burger and ended with a vegan place. That is something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum!! That biscuit sandwich is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you are in Portland, go to Pok Pok and try the chicken wings. You seriously will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love In n Out Burger! They slice the potatoes right there before they make the fries,so it always tastes fresh.
    We can get Kombucha at the grocery store here. I usually get the Synergy brand.
    I'll have to check out that Urbanspoon thingy. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love discovering new food places. And that biscuit looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize you were right in my backyard when you were in Tustin!

    ReplyDelete