Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

You know that t-shirt, "My parents went to Hawaii and all I got was this t-shirt?" Well I went to my kitchen and all I made were blueberry muffins. But in this case, they were even-better-than-usual and they were made with blueberries from our own bushes. I have made numerous blueberry muffin recipes over the years, but always seem to try a new one. This time it came from Ina Garten. I for one absolutely adore streusel on just about anything, and it was a very welcome addition to an otherwise pretty basic muffin.

Blueberry Streusel Muffins
from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics: Fabulous Flavor from Simple Ingredients

For the muffins:
3 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk, shaken
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 extra-large eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries (2 half-pints)

For the streusel topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and blend with your hands. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, and eggs. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a fork, mixing just until blended. Fold the blueberries into the batter. Don’t overmix. With a standard ice-cream scoop or large spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared cups, filling them almost full.

For the topping, place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until the butter is in very small pieces. Pour into a bowl and rub with your fingers until crumbly. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the streusel on top of each muffin. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Makes 20 large muffins.

Just so you know, it's not just me. Mom deemed them "delicious", and when grandgirl saw them, she exclaimed, "I love those. I need them!" I think you do too.

11 comments:

  1. They sound great. Pretty much anything from Ina Garten is a winner with me.
    Streusel makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,WOW!!!!They look delicious!!!This might become a favourite in my house!!
    Have a good day!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ina is by far my FAVORITE Food Network star. I adore her. Her recipes are nothing short of fantastic and I love her gentle and sweet personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psst... Debbie? Can you pass one over, please. Now all I want to do is to eat blueberry muffins and I've got zero time to make them. In the nicest possible way, I'm not sure I'm really all that thankful for you sharing this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to have one's own blueberry bushes to do this *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some little girl chose one of these over a cookie for dessert last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need them, too. Thanks for the recipe, they look delicious! Can't wait until we have blueberries in our yard, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They looks delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy . . . now only if I liked to bake. Maybe I can get my daughter to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, girl, my mouth is watering... Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, yummy! I will make them with my son, when he comes back from his holiday!
    You really say "Streusel"?! :-)
    It's such a german word!

    ReplyDelete