Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A New Color

You've probably heard all about Pantone's recent big announcement. It's only been a few years that I've known such a thing as a Pantone Color of the Year even existed. But once I did, I paid attention. In 2012, when the color of the year was Tangerine Tango, I created Tangerisk
"Tangerisk" for Tangerine Tango Challenge

In 2013, the color was Emerald, and I made some oh-so-practical but very Emerald placemats.
Emerald, black, & white placemats

So this year it's all about Radiant Orchid. The name alone is somewhat exotic, don't you think? Here's a couple of interesting reads from Blossom Heart Quilts and modern handcraft, and check out what I got when I searched for Radiant Orchid on Pinterest! Should be interesting, as orchid will be a ways out of my fabric comfort zone, but I'm willing to give it a chance in the new year. Armed with my official swatch card, I'll be watching out for my own fabric finds, and seeing what inspiration they bring. You?

13 comments:

  1. This is definitely my kind of color but it doesn't really fit into our interior. I heard about this "color of the year" just few weeks ago and honestly I don't really care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was "inspired" to paint my bedroom tangerine two years ago. It looks nice with my white beaded board half way up the wall and espresso bedroom set. It isn't very calming though and I am ready for something new, but it won't be orchid! I'm thinking a taupe or grey. Something soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought Emerald flats a few weeks ago. I love them and I love Radiant Orchid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this new Color of the year but with reddish hair, it won't be entering my wardrobe. Perhaps the grand babes will benefit : )
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this fabulous Color Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Radiant Orchid is my kind of color. I love using brights in my quilts. But since I am on a no buy fabric diet, I doubt I will be using much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your review of the colors and your makes. I played along when it was Tangerine, skipped Emerald, and am debating on Orchid. I look forward to seeing your Radiant Orchid creation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'm ahead of the curve! Plenty of orchid in my sister's wedding quilt. Who knew we were trendy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing what you radiate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to make something in radiant orchid. Your take on Tangerine is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seem to have quite a dislike for every color they choose :( So looking forward to see what you come up with. Who knows, I might even start liking this "orchid" color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. tangerine was a dream, emerald was classic but this orchid..not sew sure about it. Will see what the fabric designers lure us in with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should order a swatch. Can you match it to a fabric that I would know? I have to make a purple quilt for my sister, I figure it is a time, given the colour of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very smart to get the official swatch card. I'm just not sure about this one. I'm still pining over tangerine tango....

    ReplyDelete