Monday, January 23, 2012

Tangerine Tango

When I was first perusing palettes for my entry in the Tangerine Tango Challenge, I came across this by Design Seeds.

I loved it, but obviously, there are too many colors for the challenge, so I settled on the center three - the red-orange "tangerine" of course, orange, and a yellow-orange. Yellow in any form isn't really my normal choice, but when I saw this color wheel, I felt better.



Somewhat unknowingly, I had chosen color wheel neighbors! That I could live with.

As for a design, I had decided early on that I wanted to try the asterisk block, and just started making asterisks in a variety of sizes and fabrics. I tried to use unique components in each block, like a pieced asterisk, a pieced background, 'arms' in different fabrics, etc. Once I had five blocks, I put them together, and came up with this:
Clearly, the 'blank' spots needed filled in, so fill I did, and soon had this:
For quilting, I decided to start with a big ole asterisk in this block, then echo-quilted between each set of arms.
The fabrics include a variety of tangerines and oranges, a background of KONA Tangerine, and accents of yellow-orange shot cotton. The back consists mostly of a Denyse Schmidt tangerine print, and the binding is 1001 Peeps Jewels in orange by Lizzy House. Though my intent was to enter the mini category, the finished quilt measures 30 1/2" X 35", so I'm entering it in the "quilt" category of the challenge.

I'm not usually one to name my quilts, but for this one I have chosen a name . . . Tangerisk.

39 comments:

  1. Great quilt with a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely gorgeous! Love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect name! I love the echo quilting you did. It carries the theme throughout the quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome name!! I am dreadful at naming quilts so I'm always appreciative of a good name and you sure came up with one for this quilt! Love the quilting, too, great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, awesome job....and great name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the name! Scrummy orange blocks and the quilting is fantastic! Gorgeous quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, Debbie! And I loved reading the story of your newest creation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic, Debbie! Hm. An orange quilt that ended up bigger than you planned? Sounds familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love it Debbie- just amazing!! You have my vote :) Such warmth and joy in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! And I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very nice quilt. it looks so "happy"! and the name is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been on an orange kick for about a year now, and this is just the perfect eye candy. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being the #1 entry, your quilt is really fun and zesty and will inspire more (including me) to get on it !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love it! I love the blocks and the quilting is perfect. It is so fun to use challenges like this to try out something new, you sure nailed the asterisk block!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, it turned out so AWESOME. Love the orange, and the asterisks all play so nicely together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love it, and yes it turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that looks so fantastic! I love the layout. I just finished my challenge last night but it's a rainy day so i don't think I can get photos today. I was going to make a pillow but ended up making my first ever wallhanging. The challenge was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tangerisk! Love it. And I think the pops of yellow are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it Debbie! The asterisks and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful...the colors really lifted my spirit. Such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! The Tangerine is really fun. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun, wonderful quilt, love the name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous Debbie - love the asterisk blocks and your quilting really sets it off!

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful! i love how you carried the overall design into your quilting too. thanks for linking up to {sew} modern monday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The white really stands out with the other shades of orange. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. eye poppin', mouth waterin', holey cow that's awesomeness coming from me after seeing this! just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful design, love the color, and great name! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Debbie - Your quilt is GORGEOUS! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't decide if I like the quilt or the name better. :) Where did you find that block?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just totally, completely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Once again you've created a winner---totally fantastic colors, design, workmanship, and then the name! Tangerisk is totally terrific! Thanks for sharing the process---from choosing the colors to quilting. Love the insight. Blessing on you as you stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How beautiful! I love love love the tangerine colors!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am literally in LOVE with this quilt!!!!! Fantastic design and I hope you win!!!

    ReplyDelete