As for a design, I had decided early on that I wanted to try the asterisk block, and just started making asterisks in a variety of sizes and fabrics. I tried to use unique components in each block, like a pieced asterisk, a pieced background, 'arms' in different fabrics, etc. Once I had five blocks, I put them together, and came up with this:
Clearly, the 'blank' spots needed filled in, so fill I did, and soon had this:
For quilting, I decided to start with a big ole asterisk in this block, then echo-quilted between each set of arms.
The fabrics include a variety of tangerines and oranges, a background of KONA Tangerine, and accents of yellow-orange shot cotton. The back consists mostly of a Denyse Schmidt tangerine print, and the binding is 1001 Peeps Jewels in orange by Lizzy House. Though my intent was to enter the mini category, the finished quilt measures 30 1/2" X 35", so I'm entering it in the "quilt" category of the challenge.
I'm not usually one to name my quilts, but for this one I have chosen a name . . . Tangerisk.