Friday, January 6, 2012

Modern Halves and Modern Blocks

Ok, so several of you recognized my scrappy blocks yesterday from Elizabeth Dackson's new pattern, Modern Halves. Good going! (You'll find Elizabeth at her blog, Don't Call Me Betsy.) Huge difference though - Elizabeth made her quilt out of the mod and amazing Half Moon Modern fabrics, while I am rummaging through the mountain of scraps on my sewing room floor.

I actually started with a charm pack I got in my stocking.
{thanks sis!}
There are two charms of each color, so I'm planning on making two similar but different blocks of each color, using the charm squares as the centers, and scraps as the bars. I'm being adventuresome and just working down through the stack of charms, so you saw orange and lime yesterday, and here's lavender today. bad lighting - it looks so much better in person!

So that's been fun. Also fun is my first block for the Modern Blocks Bee! Alisha is up for January and sent out a fun little bundle of Bliss, and asked us all to make her a Quatrefoil block by Solidia Hubbard. (We're all using the book, Modern Blocks.)
I've been in several bees, but never one where someone sends me fabric to make the block of their choosing. Needless to say, I was very excited, and just had to make my block as soon as possible! Ta da!

11 comments:

  1. Great blocks! The bottom one is so cool!!!! Now I want to make one,LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic blocks!! I made two purple quilts and could not get them to photograph well no matter what I did! The colours just don't come out well, they look so much better in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blocks! The first one is a good way to pair up scraps and a charm pack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE your Quatrefoil block, how gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your bee block looks fabulous, and it is amazing how different my block looks just because of different fabric placement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Debbie. You sure are busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to make the modern halves quilt out of scraps, but don't think I have enough to go around. Maybe today I'll rummage through what I do have (including what you sent me!) and divide it into colours. Maybe I'll have enough for a few blocks, and it could be somewhat of an ongoing project.

    The quatrefoil block looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That block looks awesome, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That block is beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete