Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Finishes

Jeni of In Color Order recently shared a drawstring bag pattern that I've been wanting to try, so when my mom mentioned she could use a laundry bag for traveling, it was the perfect chance. (You can purchase the pattern here, though a smaller version is offered as a tutorial here.)
I'd had this purple triangle print in my stash for a while (by Brandon Mably, a designer with Kaffe Fasset), and mom and I both loved it for this project. The bag was easy and fun to make, and I'll definitely be making more in other sizes. I think the 'yoke' detail of Jeni's pattern really adds to it, allowing for fun contrast.

After posting a pic of the Modern Halves completed top yesterday, I was surprised how quickly the quilt came together once I got to my sewing room last night.
I debated about the binding for a while, thinking bright color was certainly in order, but in the end, settled on a dark gray to frame it all. While I love the scrappy look of my version of the original made by Elizabeth of Don't Call Me Betsy, I realized soon after starting that my scrap basket wasn't full of enough long lengths of fabric. So I got as far as I could from my scrap basket for each block, and then went to my stash to finish a few of them up. I especially like how the vertical lines are so pronounced when the colorful halves were re-pieced together. My version will make a nice lap-quilt, finishing up at 54" square.

Linking up with {sew} modern mondaySlash the Stash, Fabric Tuesdayfinish it up Friday, Scrap Attack, and the Festival of Scrappiness at Stitched in Color.

23 comments:

  1. Your Modern Halves quilt turned out great! And so fast! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY need to try this tutorial - keep seeing them everywhere and they're fabulous.. i love that quilt, the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilted and bound already? How did you quilt it? It's hard to tell on the pictures. It looks great. Off to Victoria in about an hour....I'm nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing, Debbie! I can't believe it came together so quickly. Good call on the binding. The dark grey goes well with the outer blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Especially the way you alternated the lights and darks, and the grey sets everything off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice color choices! I love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that drawstring bag the quickest and easiest thing you've ever made?! I like your modern halves quilt, the colours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your modern halves is beautiful!
    And I love those drawstring bags - so quick and easy!
    I think I've made 3, but have given 2 away and forgot to take photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the vertical lines and color placement give it almost a 3-D effect. Love it! The gray binding was a good choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how beautiful your quilt is! I love those colours and when I saw Elisabeth's pattern I wanted to make it, too! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is so wonderful!! The bag looks fantastic too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have to agree with everyone else - the bag is fabulous! The fabric is incredible. Modern Halves is so cool - I so appreciate the modern aspect of it along with the more traditional thoughts of using up your scraps. You're a modern pioneer quilter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fabrics used for the laundry bag. Everyone needs one. I love all the rainbow colors in your quilt. The gray was the right choice for the binding. It frames it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful color your quilt, I agree that the connection was with the gray perfect. The value of the color was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. visiting from quilt story to leave some comment love. i love the colors on this quilt! looks like a great stash buster too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the quilt! Beautiful colours - I need to make something like this to reduce my scrap bin :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Modern Halves quilt is beautiful! So fresh and bright!
    The drawstring bag is also great - too good for a laundry bag!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this take on her original! I like the binding color you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your Modern Halves quilt! I just love how all the colors come together. Thanks for linking up to Slash the Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is very pleasant to the eye, I love the way you have played with colors! well done

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt is so dramatic with the vertical lines, yet soothing with the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great quilt! I like the color scheme you used!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilt is so pretty! I love the colors you used, and the way the vertical lines show up is interesting. Great job!

    And your drawstring bag is cute too. Love that triangles print.

    ReplyDelete