Friday, June 20, 2014

The Postcard Quilt

This wasn't planned. I mean it wasn't on the To Do list or anything like that, and it wasn't even an idea a few days ago. It just so happened that sometime between when I left the house for work Tuesday and when I got home, it came to me. It's The Postcard Quilt.
Made with two different blocks - you know, the front of the postcard "A" and the back "B" - each block measuring 4"x6" finished. Holly said it best, "So these are fronts and backs of postcards with the line being the divide between the text and the address?" Exactly.

Block "A" is simple - cut 4 1/2" x 6 1/2". I thought larger scale prints gave that picturesque feel of a real postcard.

Here's how to make block "B".
Cut piece #1: 4" wide x 4 1/2" tall.
Cut piece #2: 1" wide x 4 1/2" tall.
Cut piece #3: 2 1/2" wide x 4 1/2" tall.
Stitch piece #1 to piece #2 and press. Add piece #3 and press.
Chain-piecing is a great method for these blocks. I'd just recommend pressing seam #1/#2 before adding piece #3. It really seemed to make a difference. Also, I chose to use 2 different text prints for each "B" block, giving it just enough differentiation between the message and address sides of the postcard.

As far as the nitty gritty goes for this quilt, fabric was Anna Maria Horner for the "A" blocks. I'm kind of embarrassed I forgot I had this little bundle after making my mini Swoon. But I came across it and thought it was perfect for this little quilt. For block "B", I obviously used a variety of text prints + a mix of gray solids. Quilting was a random organic straight stitch with a variegated Aurifil 50wt #4060 ("Silver Moon").
  1. The variegation in the thread didn't really show up much in the finished quilt, but it made me happy just the same.
  2. In this instance, by "random organic straight stitch," I mean I stitched along seam lines vertically with my walking foot, then matchstick quilted down the solid grays, and in the other areas, stitched in 1/4"-3/8" intervals. Not scientific but it worked for me.

Binding was a red herringbone, Apple of My Eye by Riley Blake Designs, which  I had just used, but didn't remember until I was sewing it on. But that's fine. It's a great little print.
 This mini finished at 24" square, and I confess I am quite fond of it.
It immediately goes back on my list of "things to do again", next time, larger. But for now, I love the concept of the postcard blocks, and I'm pleased as can be with this first execution. I hope you like it too.

If you happen to make your own project with the postcard blocks, I'd love to have you share it in my flickr group, Quilting with A Quilter's Table.

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and Fabric Tuesday.

34 comments:

  1. I'm thinking there will be a postcard quilt in my future too! Do you intend to hang this one on a wall somewhere Debbie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved watching this happen on Instagram & love your description here. a great idea. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea. Love it with the AMH prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I've been thinking of a quilt pattern for my best friend. She wanted a breast cancer awareness quilt and I just so happen to have fabric for that plus coordinating florals to add to it. I think grays would be perfect for the dividing strips. I'm so happy I saw your blog today! Now if I can just find the time to get started on my 100+ projects. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this quilt. I think it will be on my list to make

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this one! And happy to know others get swept away with an idea that just has to be made right now! I think some of the best quilts are born that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute quilt and as Carol said it's so fun sometimes to just do something just because!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you were inspired to make this quilt and that it turned out just how you were hoping! Happy to hear that I interpreted the pattern correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! Love the finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, Debbie! I'm adding this to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I've got lots of text prints that I've been saving. I've added this one to my future "to do" list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever. I love your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, simple, but very graphic and great use of those larger scaled prints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the font print fabrics with the brighter colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun idea with the fronts and backs

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my, what a fun idea! I agree that the larger scale print calls out as the front of a postcard, good choice.

    And the text fabric is the bee's knees for this project. I think I have to get me some text fabric now! LOL

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. This would be an awesome collaborative quilt. Pinned for the future! Great fabric choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love this. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so lovely and special - those spur of the moment projects so often are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun idea, they'd be great for signature blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so fun. It sure shows off the beautiful AMH prints. It would make an excellent bigger quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So delightful...and what a wonderful idea for a large quilt...or place mats...sometimes great ideas just walk into our minds...I love that you thought of this one and shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how this quilt turned out! What a fun idea! I'm definitely putting it on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a fun one Debbie. I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your postcards look lovely - just saw the QAL info too:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea to use my charm text from a few swaps away! I'll be joining the quilt-along. Thanks Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  27. this one will pester me until I make it, for sure! Post cards have been such a big part of my life with children and their grandparents....sending and receiving...I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this would be a good thing to make in a group, each quilter could use indelible ink and write a message for the printed side of the postcard

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great little quilt! Love the colours and the idea of the text fabrics. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This would make an awesome signature quilt!

    ReplyDelete