Friday, June 6, 2014

Scrap-Vee

There's not much I can say about the inspiration for this mini, considering it's for my SECRET partner in the #schnitzelandboominiquiltswap. Let's just say I started with the shattered chevrons tutorial by playcrafts. Reminiscent of the Seminole patchwork I'd used on a table runner ages ago, it in theory also began much like my striped binding, so I knew the general idea. Though I held the fabric mix in question as I began, by the time the top was done, I was smitten.
In fact I liked it so well, I just sewed together all my "scraps" to make a backing that is unique to say the least, but suits the front and has the added bonus of using larger pieces of the specially chosen fabrics.
For quilting, I stuck with the chevron theme and echoed chevrons across the width, my machine threaded with Aurifil 50wt #2021 (Natural White), and using my walking foot as a guide. And for binding, I chose a red herringbone, Apple of My Eye by Riley Blake Designs. I couldn't resist doing just a bit of matched binding (both straight and angled), fitting in a strip of Anna Maria Horner's "Garden Party" along one corner.
Special thanks to my SMQG guild-mates, Vicki/sew inspired! and Tracey/Quilting in the Pacific NorthWest for helping a girl out . . . ie. sharing from their Anna Maria Horner stashes! That made it extra fun creating this mini for my partner. Soon, it'll be winging its way . . .
"Scrap-Vee", 20"x22"



Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and SEWjo Saturday.

26 comments:

  1. Such deep rich colours - lovely mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, love the color combinations! What a gorgeous mini...sure to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice piece, Debbie! I'm sure your partner would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful mini Debbie. I'm sure your partner will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful, I love the fabrics and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a pattern for the mini? I am an "advanced beginner" and would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that is a lovely mini -- and it could be coming to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it and hope the person who receives it loves it as much too! I really like the binding on this one too, makes it just so bright and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your partner will surely love this! The one little section of matched binding is a perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking mini, Debbie! Those colours are delicious together, I'm sure your partner will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, i'm sure the recipient will love it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous mini! I love chevrons!!! What a lucky swap partner you have :-) Visiting (and new subscriber) from Finish It Up Friday

    ~ Jess ~Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude. I want to swap with you. That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great. Nice color combination. That little corner of matched binding is the best! I'm sad I missed out on this round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty, gorgeous colours and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this lovely little quilt. The colors and pattern are a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a lovely quilt. I especially like the back. I'm sure your secret friend will enjoy it as much as we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Little quilts are so fun to make. I like the mix between front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the colours you've used - so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty and strong at the same time! Love the binding detail too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt is gorgeous - love the simplicity, love the quilting detail and especially love the binding with the extra wow in one corner with matching binding - so effective. Great quilt. I am itching to use some of the different weight Auriful threads now.
    Pauline


    perry94022 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous! I have to say that I have been a total slacker on this swap so far as I have had some unexpected life things going on lately. Good thing we still have a little time!

    ReplyDelete