Wednesday, October 15, 2014

How You Bind :: The Nitty Gritty

The binding survey has been closed. Results will be posted on October 20, 2014.

Remember a while back when I did a binding survey? It was all about different binding choices - fabric, size, techniques. One thing that the survey revealed was that about half of you really enjoy binding by hand. Which is exactly what daughter dear and I were doing on a road trip last weekend. I guess I had forgotten that we, gasp, don't do it the same way!
She (top photo) holds the binding away from her, and uses no thimble or clips or pins. I, on the other hand, hold the binding right next to me, wear a leather thimble, though also with no clips or pins. All this led to an impromptu survey on Instagram, and boy did I get some responses. You can read them if you like - just look for me at aquilterstable.

Which brings me to say - I didn't want to leave you all out! So here's a quick survey for you too. And since I was making it all official-looking, I went ahead and asked a few more questions. For any of you that left comments on the Ig post, I've already entered the data from your comments. Feel free to let it go at that or answer whatever you didn't the first time. I'll leave this open for a few days, and then share the results. If nothing else, I think we'll find there's many ways to get to the same result!

10 comments:

  1. This is a fun survey, curious to know the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another quilt to bind and I'm going to try it your way (toward me) and see what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to machine bind and it's so hard caching that back side evenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. I love to finish my binding by hand. I never thought about holding my binding close to me. I use a stitch that I learned from a Crafty Gemini video. I'm not a neat hand sewer and tend toward sloppy stitches, so I had to learn a stitch to make it neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, I couldn't answer that because I machine bind everything lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very interested to see the results of this. I bind with the binding away from me and I was shocked the first time I saw a photo of someone doing it the opposite way. I usually use a whipstitch these days but occasionally use a ladder stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a fun and interesting survey. I really liked that I could see the current results after submitting my answers. I really dread the prep work involved in binding a quilt, but when I actually sit down with just the needle, thread and quilt in hand I totally relax.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to snuggle under my quilt while I hand sew the binding

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mentioned it in the survey but I really wish I could master one of the machine binding methods. I don't really enjoy binding because it takes so long but am never happy with the machine technique results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Binding... it can be so relaxing! Like you, I hold it near me. However, no thimble and yes, binder clips. I always hand bind the quilts.

    ReplyDelete