Friday, December 5, 2014

Marsala

So you've probably heard the news that Pantone has chosen Marsala as the 2015 color of the year. And boy has there been strong response.

Honestly, I've only been in-tune with Pantone's annual picks for the last few years, but each time, with Tangerine Tango in 2012, Emerald in 2013last year's Radiant Orchid, the reactions have been varied and emotional. So it's not unexpected to see that with Marsala, though I agree, there's an underlying current of dislike for brown of any kind in the quilting world. Not so here. Though you haven't seen it much in my quilting, I really am fond of browns, and yes, a brown quilt is on my Quilty Bucket List. Maybe 2015 is the year.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the discussion about it all - here's a few links - Pantonemsn.comThe Atlantic - please share more in the comments as you come across them. There's been good discussion on Instagram, especially check out Nicole/modernhandcraft's feed, and what perfect timing: Diana/semgemdi of Pink Chalk Studios continues her "What Goes with What?" posts with a new blog - and kindly names kona, Bella and cotton couture colors in her first post.

In closing, I'll quote my guild-mate, Andi of fine as frog's hair/fineasfrogshair on Ig:
"I'm undecided on the color itself, though I'm leaning towards like, and I do love the combination of marsala and blue, as the pantone inspiration photos feature. I find the visceral reaction by modern quilters on IG fascinating though! This just in: Pantone color of the year is not selected with modern quilting in mind! It's not personal or a mandate that the color be used. I'm with you, Debbie -- I'm interested to see what I can do with this color. Isn't pushing boundaries and exploring design part of modern quilting?"

For me, yes.

12 comments:

  1. And even if you don't feel like branching out, just gear your pantone inspired projects to Thanksgiving, Christmas, or maybe even Valentine's Day. I've had 2 high school dance dresses in this color, and used to wear lipstick in this, or similar shade. Tangerine, Emerald, and Orchid are/were much more challenging colors for me to branch out into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a color, how can it be "bad". I'm anxious to browse my stash and see what I own that's close, thanks for the What Goes with What link, looks like an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie! I hadn't heard yet about the NEW colour and had forgot it totally being busy with moving again. But about the colour...absolutely not mine (like also the emerald and orchid were something that I don't like very much). First I thought: why they don't choose every second year happy colour but on the other hand, perhaps they help us to use and learn to like colours that we other wise would avoid. Even I'm not 'brown' person, I like this shade. I start to feel that it can be very intersting when mixed with other colours. I have one nail Polish in this colour but not even one fabric. Thank you for the links - I'll go to learn more. Have a great weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still trying to find a fabric that really reflects the color. I think the choices by Diana at Pink Chalk are too much like burgandy. I may need to order something from Pantone to get their actual color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not my favourite. I don't see it as brown so much as wine coloured, which is also called burgundy and so much not a colour for me, not for clothes, or decor or quilting. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like brown, not crazy about burgundy. I just finished my modern maples blocks and I used a lighter brown background, Kona Bison. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I maybe crazy but i really hate the whole colour of the year thing. I have no desire to base my colour choices on the "color of the year". Aren't I just wee bit crabby this mornng.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, kind of a silly thing to be upset about. I actually have been making a quilt using the color of the year for a few years now. My daughter has dibs on this year's color Marsala quilt when I make it. It's a color we both like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely surprised at the choice for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always surprised by the furore there is when the new colour of the year is released. At the end of the day does it really matter? Surely people sew with the fabrics and colours they like. The only one reason I can see to deviate from that is if you want to take part in something like the Pantone Quilt Challenge. I like the colour, at least the one that's depicted in the photo above. To me it defintiely looks more winey than brown in colour in that image. But will I be sewing with it? Well I might if it appears in a fabric line I really like but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to use it. I'm going to be staying true to me, stitching with what appeals to me and my tastes and whether or not I am using the colour of the year will not bother me in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alas this falls under the heading of 'sludge colours' for me, brown added to a perfectly good, nice, bright colour ;o) Although to be honest, I've not been wild about the last few years either, fickle much? Moi? Maybe I'm an anti-trend setter ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not so much a fan of the marsala! But since I don't think I did anything with radiant orchid last year, I'm not loosing any sleep over it!

    ReplyDelete