Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Whole Cloth

Often after I've published an issue of The Scrap Basket newsletter, I've been inclined to try the technique or pattern I just featured. Most recently, it was the issue with whole cloth quilts that got me going in a new direction.

For the top of my whole cloth quilt, I chose a colorful Cotton+Steel print from Mesa by Alexia Abegg. This particular piece of fabric has a fun story attached, considering Alexia was standing right next to me when I purchased it at QuiltCon!
WP_20150911_11_15_36_Pro
Anyway, I cut a length 45"x60" for the top, and pieced 9 coordinating C+S fat-quarters for a backing.
Shock of shocks, I decided I better pin-baste, since I was planning on hand-quilting this one. I know, also shocking. But my machine was headed in for a check-up, so it was perfect timing to go this route.
I posted the following progress photo on Instagram, asking two questions: 1 - "how big IS "big stitch" quilting?" and 2 - "who else stitches 2 (or more) rows with 2 (or more) needles before moving their hoop?" Here's a link to the conversation. I was kind of surprised that alot of folks don't even use a hoop when doing hand-quilting, though many also sewed with several needles at a time, so I don't feel weird about that. And my stitches measure about 1/4", which was the general consensus for big stitch quilting, though I'm not super consistent on my stitch length unfortunately. Considering I like organic quilting in general, I'm OK with that too. One clever commenter asked if I was left-handed, and no, I am not. I just happened to grab the hoop for a photo without thinking what direction I was holding it.
Wholecloth-quilting
So here's where I am now, with about 1/3 of the quilting done. I'm using bamboo batting, and it's quilting very easily. As you can see, I'm using several colors of perle cotton #8, and combining both straight and outline stitches, all quite randomly chosen. (I like organic, remember?)
Despite the orientation of these photos, the quilting is actually going across the quilt. So it's slow sewing for me right now, and though I really miss my machine, I'm enjoying this project for what it is.
I'd  love to hear about your experience with whole cloth quilts, hand-quilting on pin-basted vs. spray-basted quilts, if you have a preferred batt for hand quilting, what "thread" you use, etc. etc. This is new territory for me, and I'm all ears.

Linking up with W.i.P. Wednesday.

19 comments:

  1. I always pin baste when hand quilting. I don't like the sticky mess that builds up on my needle from the spray baste. I also hand quilt without a hoop. I tried it with a hoop but it was awkward for me. I think whatever feels right to you is the best way for you to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading the conversation link about size of stitches and hoops or not since4 my sister and I just had this discussion and I had nothing to offer. I spray baste when I free motion on my domestic machine. I just had my machine in for a good cleaning and didn't check but they gave me the wrong electrical cord. I have my name written in permanent marker on everything and there was no name on the cord. While it works, it's not mine and is hard to push in. The store is sending me a new one. But still it's not my cord. So check yours when you pick it up that you get all your own parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pin baste for me too. and no hoop. And I told you about the tiger tape but I know that's not your thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking beautiful Debbie. I am interested in trying some hand quilting. What needle do you prefer. I loved your Instagram question and checked back to see what the response was. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I so love where this is going. All those stitches are just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my, debbie! I love this! I had never thought of using more than one needle, but you better believe, I'll have a whole legion going at one time, now!! I like the stitch length. How cool that you can link to IG from a blog post!! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to quilt a whole cloth quilt! Your fabric choice is inspiring. I use perle 8 thread and no hoop. I always pin baste when hand quilting so the pins would get in the way. I have also thread basted really big quilts, such as my Martha's Medallion which was 90" square! Good luck on your hand quilting journey. I find it very relaxing.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always hand quilt all my quilts in a hoop using a #8 or #9 quilting between needle. Mostly I use black, white or tan hand quilting thread. My stitches are about 1/8 of an inch long and I never thought of using more than one needle at a time. I love the idea of a whole cloth quilt. For me, I love making the first stitches as that is where the plan for the rest of the quilt happens and I invariably am overwhelmed at the size of the project....which makes the sense of accomplishment so much more when I knot off that last stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always hand quilt all my quilts in a hoop using a #8 or #9 quilting between needle. Mostly I use black, white or tan hand quilting thread. My stitches are about 1/8 of an inch long and I never thought of using more than one needle at a time. I love the idea of a whole cloth quilt. For me, I love making the first stitches as that is where the plan for the rest of the quilt happens and I invariably am overwhelmed at the size of the project....which makes the sense of accomplishment so much more when I knot off that last stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last year I hand quilted a 53 x 76 almost whole cloth quilt. Large centre panel with borders. I used perle cotton in double rows going across the quilt in a kantha style. I absolutely loved the process. It was my winter project so I had (roughly) a date in mind for finishing. I pin basted because I worried about spray baste gumming up my needle. I know it doesn't gum up on the machine but that needle goes through so fast! I use a hoop partly because that's how I learned hand quilting and partly because I think my stitches are more even with it. I do several rows of stitching at once. I have a big hoop, 14", and I don't move it until I have to! Absolutely can't wait to see your finished quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You traded piecing time for hand quilting time! I have never done any hand quilting and am so amazed seeing what others do. I'm putting all this info in my brain for later use, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only hand-quilted two quilts. Both were spray basted. I started out using a hoop but quickly ditched it. What a genius idea to use more than one needed! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this quilt; I've never thought of using a print fabric for a whole cloth quilt.
    I've hand quilted a couple of mini quilts and also parts of a twin- size quilt for a special effect, and I always use a hoop. For the past 18 months I've also been using a special thumb thimble so I can quilt away from myself as well as towards me. I've never spray basted: I've never seen spray glue for sale, but I'm never really happy using aerosols of any sort. I either pin my quilts together or sew them by hand with very large stitches to hold the layers together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never use a hoop--too uncomfortable. When doing big stitch, I do just a running stitch and not the "normal" rocking quilt stitch--saves my fingers and easy to keep consistent. I spray baste and have not experienced gummed needles. Never thought of multiple needles even though I do that with embroidery and cross-stitch. Pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you've made a great start into big stitch quilting. It's been a recent favorite of mine too. One of my pieces will be in the next issue of "Modern Patchwork" magazine, and I've submitted another for the QuiltCon magazine... though obviously I don't know if it will be accepted. I think what you're doing is a great way to practice. While I began quilting with a hoop, and for regular quilting I do use a hoop, I switched to no hoop for big stitch quilting. Since I don't use a hoop, I pin baste. But I do that only because I don't like to spray baste within the confines of the house. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like the perfect sitting on the porch or watching a movie or enjoying morning coffee project, machine in the shop or not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't hand quilted in a while but when I do, I use a hoop and I thread baste. Sometimes I'll start with a very long thread and leave half of it out, stitch down one side and then go back and stitch from the other end.

    ReplyDelete